Custom maps with new music 🎶
Started by Geniraul
Geniraul Rep. 1433
#1   29 Nov 2023
As someone who highly appreciates both custom Q3 levels and music, I'm wondering what additional maps actually have new music playing. I know and remember several such maps, namely the following:

A nice and mysterious melody that harmonizes with the level's atmosphere very well.
Unreal's music that serves as the cherry on the cake for this map.
Spooky ambient :}
Blurry glory ;)
Beautiful East motives.
Heavy Metal Town. Party people, wake up C:
Hip-Hop town :] Which old school instrumental is your favorite?
Shooba-dooba, Swing! :]
They're bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I'm the only one!

:)
A brilliant composition representing the logical end in a sombre world.
Party people never sleep! Hey!
A little bit of EDM.
  • AAWY by Shadowland2000
Church choir.
  • Q3X by D-Bone_[HAGG]
Choirch chur.

MOISTBOIL and SERIOUS_WOHNUNG by @ZaRR used to play some music, too. I know of a couple of other releases with custom .wavs, and that are not on ..::LvL, yet.

Are you familiar with any other maps like the aforementioned?

leilei Rep. 413
#2   29 Nov 2023
I like 2000's output and that's also when packing in WAV loops were a hot button issue for bandwidth wasting/dial-up stallingwith regard to some reviews, so here's some that are potentially brushed off for their bloat (especially when fileplanet's fake wait times were already long enough).

lvlworld.com/review/id:629
lvlworld.com/review/id:362
lvlworld.com/review/id:365
lvlworld.com/review/id:184
lvlworld.com/review/id:481
lvlworld.com/review/id:529

and this one is an obvious shameless plug
lvlworld.com/comments/id:443

Anything else with music out that year were likely Weapons Factory Arena maps where there'd be some loud loop in the ready room you'll have to endure during warmup.
Edited 11.7 minutes after the original posting.

Tig Rep. 1662
#3   29 Nov 2023
How things have changed over the years!

Absolutely agree with leilei - Including a music file that doubles the download size (or more in some cases) was once seen as a burden for a lot of people. Today, an extra 6MB for something that is only heard if you have s_musicvolume > 0 - who cares!

@Geniraul (and others) - I've added a Custom music tag for the Other section in the Overview. Please feel more than welcome to tag maps with this.

Geniraul Rep. 1433
#4   30 Nov 2023
Sure, the downloading time and speed have improved a lot over the past couple of decades. This is another reason for me to hope that more authors will use some custom music in their future releases :)

@leilei Thanks for the list, looks like I forgot some of the ones I've already seen, I'll definitely check out the rest!

@Tig Thanks for the tag, I'll be sure to tag a map like this when I interact with it :)

Geniraul Rep. 1433
#5   01 Dec 2023
In fact, the alternative version of Cardigan's ESTATICA also has a music file included.
Geniraul Rep. 1433
#6   05 Dec 2023
I should've loaded this map instead of liveviewing it — ZASTAVKA by @Maxell also has some custom music!
Geniraul Rep. 1433
#7   06 Dec 2023
Just found out about another map like this, which is Exit the proFa[tory by @the_nookie , a remake of exit the Fa[tory, also by @the_nookie . The music soundtrack is Adrenaline by none other than Sonic Mayhem. The instrumental itself contains a sound of someone picking up Quad Damage, and as this map also has a quad, it can confuse me sometimes :D Although the issue I had is that the track only played once, maybe because it goes with a separate file and thus doesn't loop?
Edited 2.45 minutes after the original posting.
Geniraul Rep. 1433
#8   15 Dec 2023
Two even more releases that feature custom music, but unfortunately both maps have it placed to the SFX section, so it cannot be turned off separately:

SERIOUS_WOHNUNG by @ZaRR used to play some music, too.

To be honest, I'm not sure about SERIOUS_WOHNUNG anymore, I might have confused it with 2MYHOUSE.

EDIT: Another one is SUBAIR by @DaEngineer (I could've remembered this level as well).
Edited 4.36 hours after the original posting.

Geniraul Rep. 1433
#9   02 Jan 2024
Two more releases that came to my mind are ZIH_GAJ by Zihaben & Yan Zaraki and ZIH_ROOF by Zihaben & Alex Vishnevsky. In fact, I'm not a fan of these releases at all, however I think it is important to document history.
Edited 1.23 minutes after the original posting.
richoi Rep. 70
#10   02 Jan 2024
@Geniraul: zih_roof is a most fav map for my brother and i ;-)
Geniraul Rep. 1433
#11   22 Jan 2024
4 minute soundtrack is not something you can hear often on a Q3 map ;) However, it is exactly what the special verison of URANUS by @wakey offers you.
Edited 1.87 minutes after the original posting.
Geniraul Rep. 1433
#12   15 Feb 2024
HAUNTED by @InsaneKid plays for you an excerpt from Ludwig van Beethoven's great Piano Sonata â„– 14 (en.wikipedia.org/w..._14_(Beethoven))! It is truly wonderful to hear a classical composition on a Quake 3 map!
Geniraul Rep. 1433
#13   21 Feb 2024
NKSTRDM7 by Nickster is another map that plays a custom music track, although I find it quite repetitive.
Edited 2.27 minutes after the original posting.
Mapsking Rep. 382
#14   10 Mar 2024
Sorry for the long post, but maybe this will help.

I took a look in my collection of maps, and here are some I have noticed that have custom music of some sort. If any of these do not have a patch listed on the map page, it is still under review from Tig as I have submitted several to him.

Coriolis Storm (v2)
-The music was originally a separate download, but I have converted it, and made a patch for it.
lvlworld.com/review/id:243

Duel of the Fates
-I think I found the original music (not 100% sure), and have made a patch for it that includes the music, fixes the shader issue of the original patch, and fixes the missing textures.
lvlworld.com/review/id:510

Egyziana
-The version on LVL does not include the music. However, I contacted the author, and he has included it in an updated version below.
sites.google.com/s...home/egyziana-i

WTF-Q3A (#41) [Railgun WTF-Q3A-41 by skin[NCN]master]
-This seems more like ambience than music.
lvlworld.com/review/id:1773

Discontent
-The music was initially a separate download, but I could not find it anywhere. I was able to contact the author, who provided me with the file, and permission to upload a patch for it.
lvlworld.com/review/id:1077

Quake Ballet
lvlworld.com/review/id:2104

Blue Stars
lvlworld.com/review/id:2398

Feel the Rush
lvlworld.com/review/id:2165

Opium
lvlworld.com/review/id:2189

Dantesca - Book One
-I made a patch file that includes the music.
lvlworld.com/review/id:1171

Bones' Basement
-This is more ambience than music.
lvlworld.com/review/id:2408

The Gardens of Eternity
-I made a patch file that includes the music.
lvlworld.com/review/id:962

Glassy Blue Labirinth
lvlworld.com/review/id:1942

Random
-I made a patch file for this that fixes the missing textures, added bot support, and fixes the music.
lvlworld.com/review/id:2133

GON2 - Back to Navarone
lvlworld.com/dl/lv...059a5bd2e903a7c

Cascade Rails
lvlworld.com/review/id:1330

Lost at Sea
lvlworld.com/review/id:2125

Concrete's Contentment
lvlworld.com/review/id:2161

Pendulum
lvlworld.com/review/id:2407

QBeast/QBee/QDolphin (Qvisions map pack)
lvlworld.com/review/id:1488

"Rocket" Arena
lvlworld.com/review/id:1901

Graviton
lvlworld.com/review/id:1747

Scorpion
lvlworld.com/review/id:2450

Coral CTF
-Not sure this counts, as the music is actually for ambience.
lvlworld.com/review/id:463

The Wisdom Machine
lvlworld.com/review/id:1182

War of Angels
lvlworld.com/review/id:2410

Unholy Formula
lvlworld.com/review/id:1992

AltarBeta
lvlworld.com/dl/lv...95238bd7bf72d07

McSarge's
lvlworld.com/review/id:2287

MiREA
lvlworld.com/review/id:1983

Sonne
lvlworld.com/review/id:1982

Stauf’s Last Stand
lvlworld.com/review/id:1364

Leafland
lvlworld.com/review/id:1794

Dynablast
lvlworld.com/review/id:1819

Geniraul Rep. 1433
#15   28 days ago
KINETERRA1 by Kit Carson & Nemo is one of my absolutely favourite custom CTF maps, and it plays some gorgeous church music on both bases as well!
Edited 46 seconds after the original posting.

Only registered members can post a reply.
Already registered? Sign in.

bfgdm3a
Clear