Maps which are similar to each other
Started by Geniraul
Geniraul Rep. 1411
#1   04 Feb 2023
Sometimes while playing on a Q3 map or on some level in another game, you can notice: this map looks similar to a Quake III map; and in case you're playing on a Q3 map, sometimes you can also notice that it ressembles a map from another game. πŸ—ΊοΈ

For me a great sample of this is STONEMAZE by Pan-(G). This map, basically made for the DeFRaG mod, is a really huge maze with the walls a little higher than the player. Because it's a labyrinth with the walls slightly higher than the player, it reminds me of the map 03: 2 Useless Keys of the Doom II 15 speedmaps megawad The 12 Days of Doommas compiled by BluePineapple72. The map is done by DynamiteKaitorn, and despite the fact that it's a speedmap, I really like this one (as well as other maps in this wad). Just like I like STONEMAZE. And what I also find funny is the fact that both those maps were made as labyrinths, where Stonemaze would set a goal to test the player's speedrunning skills, while 2 Useless Keys would concentrate on being created fast itself. In my opinion, both maps' palettes are almost ideally suitable for Christmas.

In this case it's only 2 particular areas, but still, the cafeteria on CITY1 by KRAFTWERK2K1 seems somewhat similar to me in it's concept to MikeDonalds on the Doom 2 map Doom Center by Doorhenge. Both levels have a skeleton as the only employee, and both those skeletons are supposed to serve burgers πŸ˜… It's probably just a coincidence, but still, I find very cool the fact that Classic Doom and Quake 3 mappers have spiritually similar ideas, it shows the unity in the way of thinking in our communities, even if it's unintentional.

If you can come up with some other examples like that, no matter if it's both Q3 maps or only one of them, please feel free to share it here ;)

Geniraul Rep. 1411
#2   25 Feb 2023
TL;DR: - LDAQ3A05CTF by Lee David Ash, Decidia by wviperw and Tokara Forest from Unreal Tournament 2003 and Unreal Tournament 2004
Full version:

Two more maps that obligatory come to mind are LDAQ3A05CTF by Lee David Ash and WVWQ3DM7 by @wviperw. On both of these maps, you go on an unforgettable journey through the green-foggy forest, but with a low probability of remembering many details :) I've seen @KommissarReb (SW12) also mentioning that it looks like Decidia in the LDAQ305CTF's comments section (lvlworld.com/comments/id:1442).

I have also noticed @Pasquake and @EmeraldTiger mentioning the resemblance of WVWQ3DM7 and Tokara Forest from Unreal Tournament 2003, later appeared in UT2004, in Decidia's comments section, which is something that I totally agree with (lvlworld.com/comments/id:1612).

Five more maps that all together come to my mind at the same time are COLDWARCTF by Sedric, KELLBLACK by @Kell, FROZENCOLORS by 79DieselRabbit, KINETERRA1 by Kit Carson & Nemo and KILLFACTOR by RUSKULL ]CWA[. I think this is simply because these are all CTF maps that have mountains with changeable landscape C:

Next, another very interesting map is MG_FINAL by @sock & @Mr. Lake. From level's readme file:

Evil Gemini is a small 2v2 CTF map by Mr. Lake featuring a very cool
idea, the flag rooms are next to each other! This simple change allowed
the game play to be less defensive and more intense with fewer places
to hide. I really wanted to work with this layout and contacted
Mr. Lake to see if he would mind and luckily for me he said
'By all means, please do. =)'

I took the original map and de-compiled it to get an idea of structural
scale and where all the items were placed. Once I had a compiled version
of the original map I stripped out all of the detail and converted
everything back into basic concrete blocks. I quickly tested the map
to see if all the original game play was still intact and luckily
everything worked fine.

Thus, this map is actually based off of Mr. Lake's EG_CTF1 and highly improved with significant gameplay changes. So the authors collaborated on this from some point of view remake, and therefore logically, it's not a coincidence that these two maps have the names which are so similar to each other: Evil Gemini CTF and Mystic Gemini. They are CTF Gemini ;) There's much and much more level's (re)building information provided in the readme concerning the map creation history, which I really find very interesting, so I definitely recommend take a look at this!

@Tig mentioned another CTF map that has its bases very close and visible to each other, which is
Q3RCTF by Ricochet. Personally, I have some memories about another level like this. It also has the bases located very close one to the other, and in this map's case, almost back to back, however the blue and the red zone are analogically separated with the glass. The only way to reach the enemy team's half of the territory is to go up through a very long tunnel or something. This map is relatively small and absolutely symmetric IIRC, but I cannot remember the name of it... If anyone has recognized the level that I'm talking about, I would be very glad and thankful to the one who'll reveal its name :)

Then, a quartet of maps which have quite a similar atmosphere / color gamma is GNC_ENGINE by GNC, CHARON3DM10 by Charon, BAL3DM3 by Bal and MADDDM1 by Maddman99. This is because they are made in the red color and some of them have the same textures, IMO.

Finally, two more levels with similar colors are COMPLEX by SMKnight and Star Trek - Doom Invasion by Thomas Spaulding & Grant Jacobs, which is a custom map for Doom. These ones are similar in the color palette that was applied to them: red, white and black. Furthermore, both of these two maps contain mazes in them and a reference in the title (GoldenEye and Star Trek).

EDIT May 29: Star Trek - Doom Invasion is a custom map for Doom 1, not for Doom 2.
Edited 93.07 days after the original posting.

leilei Rep. 413
#3   26 Feb 2023
WVWQ3DM7 was made in 2003, so there's no way WVIPERW was inspired by an Unreal Tournament 2004 map while creating this one, it could rather be the opposite :)

Tokara Forest was in UT2003 and that game came out in October 2002.
Geniraul Rep. 1411
#4   27 Feb 2023
Corrected, thanks for the remark. Ironically, I have UT2003 installed on my PC, and it's hardly worth complaining about high gravity on this map :)
Geniraul Rep. 1411
#5   04 Mar 2023
Personally, I have some memories about another level like this. It also has the bases located very close one to the other, and in this map's case, almost back to back, however the blue and the red zone are analogically separated with the glass. The only way to reach the enemy team's half of the territory is to go up through a very long tunnel or something. This map is relatively small and absolutely symmetric IIRC, but I cannot remember the name of it... If anyone has recognized the level that I'm talking about, I would be very glad and thankful to the one who'll reveal its name :)

UPDATE:

Finally found this map (it appeared in recent downloads today)! It's AXZCTF2 from AXZCTFMAPS by Derkesthai (the one on the screenshot).
Edited 1.77 minutes after the original posting.

Geniraul Rep. 1411
#6   25 May 2023
The obvious pair: SHIBAM by @DaEngineer and DAWNOFTIME by Scourge. The design, layouts, themes, at some point even the color palette, and the overall feeling on these two maps seem surprisingly similar.

However, that doesn't stop each level from being unique: Shibam offers some air ducts close to those in the original Quake as a transport method, while Dawn of Time provides some really good opportunities for gameplay in CTF mod.

Actually, I knew a map called Iran from a game called Tanki Online. It certainly has some similarities with both of these levels.

Geniraul Rep. 1411
#7   06 Jun 2023
Then, a quartet of maps which have quite a similar atmosphere / color gamma is GNC_ENGINE by GNC, CHARON3DM10 by Charon, BAL3DM3 by Bal and MADDDM1 by Maddman99. This is because they are made in the red color and some of them have the same textures, IMO.

Another map that I discovered just recently and which is similar to these ones is Q3NEM06 by @NemiX There is one even more such level to mention which is REDQ3DM4 by Redfella. All these maps are made in the industrial style, they have similar color palette, and all of them except BAL3DM3 use Vendetta textures by Rorschach.

EDIT:

Another map that I discovered just recently and which is similar to these ones is Q3NEM06 by @NemiX

Although it is featured on the site, so I should probably have discovered it earlier :D
Edited 1.12 days after the original posting.

Geniraul Rep. 1411
#8   7 days ago
DK_COCKBLOCKED by @dONKEY and Awoken from Quake Champions are two other maps that I find to be quite similar to each other due to their nature β€” stone environment with the abundance of vegetation, β€” and the color palette of grey and green.
KommissarReb (SW12) Rep. 2332
#9   7 days ago
I've always thought Dead of Winter by Jax Gator lvlworld.com/review/id:1503 looks strikingly similar to Quake3Stuff by Senn lvlworld.com/review/id:562 There's even the little pile of snow next to a curved staircase in both maps, BOTH in the main preview screenshot!
Geniraul Rep. 1411
#10   6 days ago
Fair enough, I was always looking for these two snow maps, but I always forgot either the first or the second :P The snow theme, color palette, icicles and a curved staircase, just like you mentioned. Two more of these 'series' that come to mind are YOG3DM6 by Yogi and SHAD3DM2 by @Shadowdane .

Only registered members can post a reply.
Already registered? Sign in.

lsdm1
Clear