Where's the Carmack Fortress? (krep1)
Started by CZghost
FragTastic Rep. 2343
#21   15 Jul 2012
@SW12: Well editing your comment got you somewhere didn't it?!.. But fair enough.
Edited 3.12 minutes after the original posting.
KommissarReb (SW12) Rep. 2362
#22   17 Jul 2012
@FragTastic: umadbro?

You have been answering my posts with "?!".

FragTastic Rep. 2343
#23   18 Jul 2012
@SW12: Naww! I'm not mad yet :P.
FragTastic Rep. 2343
#24   21 Jul 2012
@All: deQer has released an updated version of his map ''Maze-eur''. If you want to test or download his new release, click the link below!

q3a.ath.cx/map/krctf02/

deQer Rep. 7
#25   17 Apr 2013
The map was removed due to spite votes.

The old comments page for Carmack Fortress was removed, therefore the proof where FragTastic specifically stood up and blatantly said "Don't like it? Fine, I'll change all my votes to 0." is gone.

The only proof I have is this: bport.ca/temp/lvlworld-voting.png

FragTastic did this when I asked for an explanation to why he voted what he voted. He could not provide one; instead, he changed his votes to 0.

I requested that the Tigger do something about spite votes, however Tigger wasn't able to do anything--and apparently with the new website we have now, still wasn't able to offer an option for an author to "disable ratings/votes" for their maps, unlike youtube who offers this option.

I don't see this being difficult to do. Just add a field/flag of ratings=1 or 0 in the database of maps; and for maps with ratings=0 won't be displayed in ratings' listings; only displayed in an archive or something. But Tigger said he won't do this unless 100 people request it. But, I guess it's a lot of work for Tigger, and he would rather wait until it's heavily requested before he bothers to do it. So, that's it.

People that were voting 7/10 for Carmack Fortress were not vanilla people. My map is vanilla, and should only be voted by vanilla players who appreciate low-poly/low-quality/vanilla styled maps. Otherwise, I would have chosen that ratings feature be disabled, but lvlworld does not provide this feature.

Allowing people to vote/rate something, and not provide an explanation why, makes ratings pointless.

I no longer support ratings' sites. I will be posting more maps in the future, and will not be posting them to ratings' sites, and the map's readme file will now contain terms that my maps must not be submitted to any ratings' sites.

Good day.

KommissarReb (SW12) Rep. 2362
#26   17 Apr 2013
@deQer: Many other people told you why they voted 7 out of 10, that the map could use some tweaks (such as lighting, barriers, some invisible walls etc.).

You stated that the map was 10/10, which got a lot of people upset because it was kind of an arrogant thing to say-believing the map was perfect when there were apparent flaws. A 10/10 map is a map that is absolutely perfect (depending on what it's purpose is), and themuffinator and FragTastic simply stated that it was good, but could use some adjustments. You said they didn't say why they voted the way they did. After you snapped at them they voted 0/10 because they were upset with you for complaining that they were being unfair. There weren't that many people voting like that and the map's positive votes would have eventually outnumbered the low ranking ones. You didn't have to remove all of your maps to ruin it for everyone, even for people thinking highly of it.

All I'm saying is I disagree with that action to remove the maps, and that you should have said something like "Okay, I'll try to improve so-and-so." rather than "that's because it's a 10/10 map dumbass". Just saying. There will always be spite votes no matter what and everyone deals with it because those votes get overrun by reasonable ones.

deQer Rep. 7
#27   17 Apr 2013
You're right, SW12. I was out of line, and arrogant by saying it's a 10/10 map. I realize now that I would've even accept 9/10 or 8/10, but I cannot fathom a 7/10. Given that ratings are now */5, I would accept 4/5, and 3/5, but I cannot fathom a 2/5.

You make a good point about ratings being overrun by reasonable ones.

I just wish an explanation was provided. I do not recall FragTastic giving one. I was snippy with him, which lead to him changing his rating to 0/10, and then put me over the line.

When I put 170 hours into this; my heart and soul into this; I figured people would see that.

You're right about the other complaints though, the invisible walls, etc. I read an article recently from a group of level designers, and it talked about that; making the map dumb-proof for public and not just for the level designer himself. I realize that now.

I appreciate your comment and candidness within, and you've given me something to think about now. I may return to submitting my maps to ratings' sites then, given what you've said now. So, thank you.

I apologize for being the way I was being; and I hope we can put that behind us, and next time I'll have the patience and understanding to deal with such situations in a professional manner.

Thanks,

Group 2 of 2

Only registered members can post a reply.
Already registered? Sign in.

chiropteradm
Clear