ROTARY08 by Rotary Fist
Title : Plasma Caves by RotaryFist.cz
BSP Name : rotary08.bsp
Author : Michal "RotaryFist.cz" aka "Ergotoxin" Pivec
Release Date : 19th December 2009
Email Address : **email removed**
MSN Messenger : **email removed**
ICQ number : 304-888-545
Author Home Page : rotaryfist.blogspot.cz
Description : medium-size industrial/organic map
Thanks to : - PJW for MASSIVE help with a worldspawn bug!
- Terroristin and Smasher for design tips and betatesting!
- Evil Lair for the awesome textures!
- Anyone who enjoyed my maps for support!
for the skybox!
- LvLworld.com for hosting and constructive help!
* Map Information *
Game : Quake III Arena / Quake 3 Team Arena
DeathMatch : yes
Team Deathmatch : yes
Tourney : no
CTF : no
Bot support : yes
New Textures : yes
New Sounds : not really (the elevator bug)
New Models : no
Traps : no
Secrets : yes (3)
Power Ups : yes (quad, haste, invisibility)
Team Arena support: yes! (nail, proxy, chaingun, invulnerability, and a little secret;)
* Construction *
Base : New
Build Time : started in august 2008, so about 1 year with a 6-mo pause and 4 months debuggin
Compile machine : WinXP, 2800 MHz, 1024mb RAM, but a crappy integrated graphic card
Compile time : about 50 minutes
Editor used : GtkRadiant 1.4.1
Other programs : WinZip, Paint Shop Pro, Adope Photoshop, QToolkit
* About Plasma Caves *
Research Centre 201 is a top secret compound allegedly built around the 2040s in the Falkland Corporate Region. According to Falcon Energy Inc ex-workers, the experimental plasma core energy reactor is located near the Mount Maria caves. This is the reason why the area is reffered as "Plasma Caves" in recent conspiration theories.
It is your goal to infiltrate and sabotage the facility. Good luck on your mission, soldier!
Building this map was hell - the rocks and their glitches, the r_speeds in the main room, the ridiculous origin bug (thanks again PJW!) - but Im satisfied with the result.
While most of my larger maps were complex bases with entertaining interior but a slow gameplay, I hope this map breaks the ice and finally brings a change. The main room has 7 entrances, there are no deadends and some good level interaction. I also tried to support rocket/strafe jumping a bit more.
Otherwise, the map has all weapons except BFG, three (randomized) powerups, MH and a fine gameplay against bots (the main room is a rampage!). Best for 6-8 players. I hope you'll have fun!
- R_speeds are getting quite high in front of the "plasma towers" hall; this is mostly because there are a lot of surfaces AND shaders. I tried my best to reduce the r_speeds and I kinda succeed (reduced rates by 80% in the main room!!!), but it is not perfect. Still, it should run smoother than your typical "ultra-graphic" map from the interweb. An average PC should handle it well (I have good fps even though i only have an integrated graphic card; maps like Chantres or POM_BOTS are unplayable for me).
- If you have any problems with textures (eg. lights, liquids or floors), try downloading mapmedia.pk3, which is all around the web (or included in the GtkRadiants). There shouldnt be any of those errors anymore, though, as I did my best to fix them all.
- Some of the rocks dont really look that neat from above or sides (you may notice this in spectator mode). Sorry, I had hell with those organic pieces-of-s**t, and I refuse to touch them any further.
- There might be minor graphic glitches in the caves as well (dots of white light), though I think I repaired 99% of them (took FOREVER).
* Copyright / Permissions *
Authors MAY NOT use this level as a base to build additional levels.
You are NOT allowed to commercially exploit this level, i.e. put it on a CD
or any other electronic medium that is sold for money without my explicit
permission! (Just ask)
You MAY distribute this BSP and associated files through the (internet,
FTP, local BBS etc.), provided you include this file and leave the archive