1) Upper RL area. In the original it's a simple hop up to the GL ledge (of course in the original all that's up there is a couple armour shards and some health). This is not possible in Hub's version without the use of the ramp from the upper YA area.
2) Lower RL area. The stairs from the lower RL area have been removed making it impossible to double back and forcing the player to use the teleporter or to RJ out of the lower RL pit.
3) Upper YA stairs. In the orginal you could take the YA and go up the jp and round to the upper RL / GL area in one fluid movement. In Hub's version the player has to stop and back up a couple of steps or time the turn to the stairs right to follow the same route. This stop in momentum really changes the speed of the game in that area.
4) Replacing the JP with the Telelporter to the upper RL / GL area. This cuts of two route choices for the player. a) cutting right, back round the YA and b) cutting left towards the RG. I'm not so sure I like this. But I do like the speed the Teleporter provides.
Pros:- (I like to finish on the good stuff).
1) Replacing the fog pit with the lava pit. This means the player stands a greater chance of survival and yet is still servely punished for lack of awareness.
2) Replacing the jump pad at the RG and removing the protecting wall. This makes for a much more fluid bit of game play.
3) Replacing the jump pad on the GL ledge with the stairs to the upper level. Again excellent choice and again makes for a much more fluid game.
4) Removal of some of the pillars in the RL / GL area and the movement of the GL to the upper area. Simply put a great idea whilst also stopping someone camping at the GL.
5) PG replaced by the MH and lost of the pillar there. Again I really like the idea and I think it makes for a much better tactical consideration. Especially with the GA inclusion down where the GL was originally.
For me, both maps have their own good and bad points. I wish there was a third version which catered for my cons. Then I'd be one happy bunny :)
Edited: 10 Sep 2009 AEST
I always really liked the gameplay in the original, but yeah, it was a bit . . . plain, and sort of odd looking in places.
Now its looks do the gameplay justice. Who says you can't have both?!
for a cpm map looks are just stylish.
Q3JDM9 has always been one of my favourite maps. I'm just hoping I did Jude's idea good justice.
Great Level Hub!