Right now I've created a baseq3e fork here: github.com/themuffinator/levelup
Two new guns:
- a teledirected rocket launcher. Same as current rocket launcher, but adding a new firing mode: right click mouse allows for directing the rocket moving the mouse. A camera follows the rocket in first person. The player cannot move in the meantime, and a sign above the player head indicates she is directing the rocket.
- mines stuck to some places. Low damage but can be placed for instance to protect a key item.
- a must innovation is the possibility for wall jumping. That is, jump into a wall and though some special movement, jump upwards or sideways. This is very simple but will add so much mobility to the game. Defrag and CPMA people will be delighted too!
- fired ammo are real objects that can be countered with other ammo. For instance, you can shoot a rocket or grenade and made it explode before it reaches target.
- a portable teleport, like in the game Portal. It takes you to random map location. Cool for escaping. The key however is that it lasts some seconds open so you can be followed. That is the key difference with the T item currently available.
- a special mode where there is no up or down. There is gravity but essentially every wall is a floor! The dynamic added by this, with custom maps designed purposely for it, would be so huge....
- AI that learns. Forget classic, static AI. That's the past. Now AI must learn from players.
For the sake of versioning and not releasing a new build every time something is added, we'll go on a 10 ideas per version rule. So this is 1/10.
- Wall jumping... I'll probably be lazy and port code from Unvanquished.
- Shootable projectiles... also very Unreal-like! Alright.
- So essentially it's the unused Portal item from Team Arena?
- the bot AI technically does learn, although it isn't really stored/archived to continually improve across matches etc.. It's bound to involve source port modding and I'm probably not nearly skilled enough to attempt dabbling in AI. That would be interesting to see though, especially if its learning is stored in a cloud from many different players/servers.
Boss Battle: A round-based game mode like Clan Arena, with no items and starting with all weapons, except it's one overpowered player, the "boss", versus multiple, regular-strength players. The boss's starting health is equal to 100 x the number of players opposing them, and they may have other additions to give them an edge against being outnumbered, such as greater speed, higher damage output, etc. Would need quite a bit of fine-tuning to be balanced, but would also be quite fun too.
Follow the Leader: A round-based, team game mode that's sort of an assisted duel. One player on each team is designated the "leader" (exact mechanics behind who gets chosen are left to the reader). A team only scores if their leader frags the other team's leader - a non-leader player fragging the opposing team's leader doesn't count, and neither does the leader fragging a non-leader player on the other team. This encourages teams to stick closely together with their leader and ensure their survival, while also requiring the leader to actively seek the other leader so they can score.
Timeskip: A trollsy idea for a power-up that basically makes lag into a game mechanic (sort of). From the perspective of the player using this power-up, the game will operate normally and smoothly. From the perspective of other players, however, it will look like the power-up wielder is warping/lagging due to high ping, causing them to "skip" over the place and making them harder to hit.
Some of these ideas we discussed on Discord (wonder if that was the inspiration, hehe) too.
Uploading to LvL likely involves a modded source port as I can't think of any system call that would serve that function.
I'd imagine minimode would let you jump as height as you do regularly? Otherwise there would be some serious struggles getting around the map... unless everyone had a jetpack!
Added wall jumping (use pmove_wallJump 1 to enable), works consistently but could use tweaking/balancing.
Added very basic framework for Redeemer weapon... right now just an OP RL.
Added shootable projectiles (thanks Takkie and original code guy), but I'm not entirely happy with it... can't seem to use direct hits/hitscan to detonate projectiles, only splash damage so far.
Edited 4.42 minutes after the original posting.