Public Beta ..::LvL Android App
Started by Tig
Tig Rep. 1682
#1   24 Dec 2014
The ..::LvL Android app has shifted to the Google Play Store. It can be found here:

play.google.com/store/apps/details

You will need to uninstall any version you have now before installing the Google Play Store version.

Any future updates will also come out through the Google Play Store (no uninstall will be required).

One of the new features is a "swipe right" to go back a page. You can also "swipe left" (after a swipe right) to go forward again.

Another new feature is the App will resume from your last visited page instead of defaulting to the home page.

Takkie Rep. 1798
#2   24 Dec 2014
Congrats!
I'm testing it right now :)
CZghost Rep. 1681
#3   24 Dec 2014
Uninstalled the previous one and installed the official one from Google Play Store :) Good to know the app is available from official apps site :)
GuitarMan Rep. 468
#4   27 Dec 2014
Testing it right now on my low end tablet, so far it's working fine, Thank you!
CZghost Rep. 1681
#5   28 Dec 2014
Video view is a bit buggy, some videos play only sound and some do not response to controls. Is it possible to improve the video support?
Tig Rep. 1682
#6   29 Dec 2014
@CZghost: Is this always the same videos? If so, which ones?
Takkie Rep. 1798
#7   30 Dec 2014
@Tig
A thing i notice when using the app.
When i want to type a message on the forum in the app, the keyboard opens over the messageboard so you can't read what you type..
CZghost Rep. 1681
#8   30 Dec 2014
Well, all videos when I switch to fullscreen mode. Also I have that troubles with keyboard overlapping the message box. I think it is caused by render bug.
Tig Rep. 1682
#9   30 Dec 2014
The "keyboard hides the message box" issue has been identified and I think I have a fix for it. This is a known Android issue.

The HTML5 Video issues has also been replicated. This is a lot more complex. I'll see what I can do about it. For now (and this sucks) you can get around the issue by:

1. Hitting the Home button.
  2. Go to your Task Manager and kill (flick) the App.
  3. Restart the App.
Takkie Rep. 1798
#10   03 Jan 2015
Hey, you fixed the keyboard! Cool.
I like the idea of the notifications.
Perhaps you can add an 'allow only notifications for bookmarked maps' function.
So you can select the maps you want to keep an eye on...
Tig Rep. 1682
#11   03 Jan 2015
Just added options for "Enable sound" and "Only bookmarked" for notifications. You will need to have logged in for the "Only bookmarked" option to work, but you can toggle it if you are logged in or not.

You should get the new version within the next 12 hours (at a guess).

Edit: Google has flagged an issue with the app. Not sure what that is all about, so the update may take a while longer :[

Tig Rep. 1682
#12   04 Jan 2015
Turns out Google has pull the App but will not let me know exactly why except that it "violates" the "Paid and free" part of one policy and "section 3.5" of another. After a heap of research, this appears to be mostly related to "donate" buttons.

Why not just say something like "your donation button / link is a violation of our terms because it does not go through Googles services (and we miss out on a cut)". That would be clear and the issue can be fixed really quickly. Instead they make you guess what the reason might be.

Anyway, I don't know for sure if this is the reason (because they will not talk to you about anything), however I have remove the donate links for the App and sent a reinstate request letting them know the links are now gone for the App. I have no idea at all how long it will take to have the App back up, but it would be nice if it was within 24 hours.

Takkie Rep. 1798
#13   06 Jan 2015
Google is still giving you a hard time i notice...
Tig Rep. 1682
#14   06 Jan 2015
Yep. Based on what I have read today, it could be another 48hrs or more - that is if I hear from them at all.

It also looks like a lot of people are forced to re-publish their App and lose all current users. Not a big issue here, but sucky because it is not clear why the App was suspended in the first place, which means it may happen again.

Tig Rep. 1682
#15   07 Jan 2015
The App is back up in the Google Play Store. The problem does appear (at a total guess) to have been the "donate" button. The reinstate email said very little.

I'm uploading a new version now which has some new icons and minor fixes.

Edit: Just been looking at the new icon and I'm pretty sure it is going to have to change again

Takkie Rep. 1798
#16   09 Jan 2015
Just got the update. The new symbol/icon is cool!
Tig Rep. 1682
#17   09 Jan 2015
Glad you like it :]

It is a heavily edited screen shot of Endurance by Greg Ward. The map is currently not on ..::LvL, but hopefully it will be soon enough.

GuitarMan Rep. 468
#18   10 Jan 2015
Got the new version, :-)
Cool new icon.

Good to see that Google enabled the app again in such short time, you never know; they seem to be on everything and everywhere, but when you're in trouble with their stuff, you never find an actual human being to talk to.

Edited 8.08 minutes after the original posting.

FragTastic Rep. 2353
#19   15 Jan 2015
Ah yes I mentioned having an app for ..::LvlWorld a while back. it's great to see Android get a version of the app, great work Tig!
Tig Rep. 1682
#20   15 Jan 2015
Just a quick heads up.

The Android App now defaults to "high quality" graphics.

This is a server side change, so no App update required. If you want to save a little bit of bandwidth or the images are loading too slow for you, switch to the "standard" graphics on the home page.

Only registered members can post a reply.
Already registered? Sign in.

rjldm2
Clear