How to play a custom map
Once you have downloaded the Q3 map you wish to play, these are steps required to play it in Quake 3 Arena.
The quick version
The following information may not work for all maps.
- Extract any PK3 files from the zip you downloaded to your baseq3. At the very least this should be a single PK3 file.
- Start Q3A and visit Single Player -> Skirmish in the menu.
- Browse until you find your downloaded map, then start it.
Some maps do not appear in the menu system when you browse for them. There are a number of reasons why this happens:
- You did not put the PK3 into the baseq3 folder.
- You did not select the correct Game type from the Q3 menu.
- The map requires a mod for it to work correctly.
- The author of the map did not include an .arena file. This is a common
issue with the oldest maps on ..::LvL because the menu system support for
custom maps was added after Q3A was originally released. You can start the map
from the console. Check the readme file that came with the map.