Bot tag on maps
Started by squad
squad Rep. 70
#1   12 Jul 2012
Since Tig added the auto tag feature, I've been wondering what the significance is for the Bots listed on a map. Do they play the level better than other bots?
Tig Rep. 1652
#2   12 Jul 2012
The bots shown under the main image are the bots the level author has included in the map.
Kyall Rep. 417
#3   12 Jul 2012
I was a little confused by this too. By included, do you mean he/she has recommended that you use these bots in the map, or has he/she put that certain bot in the pk3 file?
PaN61 Rep. 385
#4   12 Jul 2012
I was a little confused by this too. By included, do you mean he/she has recommended that you use these bots in the map, or has he/she put that certain bot in the pk3 file?

It's basically the guide to what bots the author had set for you to play the map in the .arena script file. It's the bots that are shown in the list when you enter the bot options in single player right before you get into the arena. This is common for the FFA, TDM and Tournament gametypes.

I hope I'm correct, correct me if I'm wrong Tig.

Tig Rep. 1652
#5   13 Jul 2012
@PaN61: All correct except you missed CTF. In fact, it is any map type that includes "bots" in the .arena script. The bots are added automatically, but only if there is a single .arena script found. This is why "map packs" do not have a list of bots.
PaN61 Rep. 385
#6   13 Jul 2012
@Tig: OK. Thanks for that.
And that is your answer to the question folks.
KommissarReb (SW12) Rep. 2362
#7   15 Jul 2012
Something that confuses me is some maps without bot support suggest you play the maps with certain bots.

If one (namely,me) doesn't know how to create a custom .aas file, just what can be done?

GuitarMan Rep. 468
#8   15 Jul 2012
@SW12: Probably the map author used someone else's readme file as a base for his own and forgot to delete that part. I've seen a number of maps listed on this site that used the template readme provided by Tig but forgot to replace some parts of it (yeah, even the map's name).
Tig Rep. 1652
#9   15 Jul 2012
For some strange reason, some level authors include an invalid .aas file (bot file) .

The script that is run that extracts the bots from the .arena file can not tell if the include .aas is valid or not.

So... when this happens (bots in the .arena file but invalid .aas) the script will add bots to the review on ..::LvL.

If you see this, please edit the review! (Click the "Edit keywords" link under the tags, click the bots on the left to remove them, click the "No Bot support" on the right) It will take all of 10 seconds to correct but requires a "human" not a script to do it :]

Only registered members can post a reply.
Already registered? Sign in.

mrcq3t3
Clear