The Ruins of Oehm
Started by JLaw
JLaw Rep. 31
#1   30 Aug 2022
Not sure why I never thought to ask here... so I guess I will now. :-)

The Ruins of Oehm (oehm.pk3) was an early custom Q3 map that was popular on some ProMode servers. It vanished when all those Quake-era game-files websites died off. It's not the GREATEST MAP EVER (as I remember) but it's basically the only map that I used to run on my server which I now can't find, anywhere. Kind of annoying! If anyone out there happens to have a copy it would be cool to take a peek at it.

lurker Rep. 10
#2   03 Sep 2022
Sorry to make the first reply a negative result.
I saw your wanted list @ neogeographica.com a little while ago, and over the past month or so while doing a bunch of archive work, I've looked for oehm. No luck so far.
The only extra information I can give you is this: I saw in another map an advertisement for Ruins of OEHM in connection with gmc.splatterworld.com (GMC = German Mapping Community according to the advertisement). splatterworld.com and .de were the same; but unfortunately, archive.org doesn't have anything for gmc.splatterworld.com nor gmc.splatterworld.de . But it does give a direction of inquiry for someone more gregarious than I: ask if anyone knows anyone who ran splatterworld or might have an archive of it, or someone who was a member of either the Black Legion or Spirit of Darkness clans ( www.blacklegion.de , www.spirit-of-darkness.de ) which tested some of these maps (e.g., Elite by Goetzenzar) and might still have a copy of the map, etc.
JLaw Rep. 31
#3   07 Sep 2022
Ah well, thanks for the answer (and a few more leads) in any case!
lurker Rep. 10
#4   23 Sep 2022
gathering together what I have learned to date:
title: Ruins of Oehm
authors: aless and shiva
released: circa 2000-06-28
pk3name: oehm.pk3
originally released as oehm.zip
screenshot: www.mediafire.com/...sement.png/file

historical / dead / unarchived download locations:
aless.qscene.de/maps/oehm.zip
- aless's website @ qscene.de . qscene.de died some time in 2001.

qwfix.quake3world.com/files/oehm.pk3
- Khaile's QWfix mod @ q3w. Q3W stopped hosting sites around Feb. 2001. I don't know if DOOMer et al. would have access to an archive of these. Khaile ( twitter.com/jeb_ ) might have some of his old files.

Further notes which may or may not be helpful (bear in mind I am not a CPM/CPMA player) :
Per web.archive.org/we...:80/index2.html , oehm was supposed to make it into the 'next promode release'. This would have been around CPM Beta 28 (May 2000; promode_beta28.zip) and the Lansanity 0.85 (July 2000; CPM_Lansanity_085.zip) versions. I have not found a trove of beta maps in the old versions of CPM I could locate. Each time it has been cpm1-cpm4 or no maps at all.
It does mean that the map may have made it onto official CPM FTP(s). If so, that still doesn't help us much, because webspiders generally didn't index FTPs.
A few new CPM maps appeared in this period (e.g., Prophecy by Mr.CleaN, Old School by r_speeds), so it's possible that there might have existed some kind of beta/test compilation pack of new submissions... somewhere.
shiva might have been Polish player t5.shiva , if that helps anyone.

There are no search engines available for this kind of work, so progress comes in fits and starts. Was there anything like www.gametracker.com/search/q3/ or www.gs4u.net/en/quake3/ operating back in 2000? (As in: web-browser list of servers instead of a program like gamespy or qtracker to download.) I've used archives of theclq.com a bit, but if there's some 'obvious' resource that everyone used back in the day, please advise.

(edit: Lest the final paragraph sound like a non sequitur, I have occasionally found missing maps via 'maps we play on our server' resources.)
Edited 18.73 minutes after the original posting.

Tig Rep. 1622
#5   16 Oct 2022
@JLaw - Foo has put together a massive archive of maps as a torrent. It could be worth a look in that torrent. A lot more information is here - www.quake3world.co...m/viewtopic.php
Foo Rep. 367
#6   17 Oct 2022
@Tig This one's on my hit list as well, no luck finding it so far. I've pinged Jeb on Twitter and received no reply, so I assume he either doesn't have it any more or doesn't have the inclination to spend time digging it out for us. If we can find a dead fileplanet link to it I can ask Spirit to dig it out of the FilePlanet FTP archive that he has stored away, but only if we can prove it had a public link. I've been through every english-, french-, and polish-language site I can find scouring for maps, but it could lurk in another language that's beyond me or not visible to search engines.

I have one more thread I'm following up which might strike gold, but we'll have to wait and see.

Meantime if anyone does have any PK3s that aren't already in the archive as per that link on Quake3World, please do get in touch. I'm trying to make it as complete as possible and will hopefully issue a better-sorted, even more comprehensive torrent at some point medium term.
Edited 2 minutes after the original posting.

leilei Rep. 413
#7   02 Nov 2022
I don't have Oehm. :(

I was going to make a topic about finding japanese mapper maps but lvl errored out. I know there's more than coral/fs3dm1-3 out there.

Foo Rep. 367
#8   12 Nov 2022
I had a lot of success finding extra levels from Polish and French mappers as I have passable capabilities with those languages, at least as far as internet searching goes. Someone with Japanese language skills could surely dig out a lot of content just by knowing the basic terms to search for PK3 links, and I guess that goes for many other languages as well.
If you do have any levels that aren't in the big lists per that link please let me know, it'd be great to get them added. I'm stepping through the existing content sorting it all out a bit better for a future release (de-dupe where the pk3 and separate zip exist, sort mod-only maps into dedicated folders, etc).
Edited 2.91 days after the original posting.
raspatan Rep. 4510
#9   12 Nov 2022
Have anyone tried asking the guys at discord? CPMA one is very active. Maybe someone has it there.

Only registered members can post a reply.
Already registered? Sign in.

map-13dream_xt
Clear