Maps not on ..::LvL
Started by Takkie
Takkie Rep. 1798
#1   18 Feb 2015
Yesterday i came across a level that i find genius and is not listed here on ..::LvL
iirc it is policy here that only the author can submit a map to ..::LvL or someone with permission from the author.
Well for these two maps i don't have permission (didn't ask) to submit to the queue but i don't want you folks to miss out on them.

download:
members.quicknet.n...maps/hektik.zip
members.quicknet.n...ps/atrocity.zip

Atrocity is an oldy but hektik i played yesterday for the first time and had a blast!

leilei Rep. 413
#2   18 Feb 2015
I think ..::LvL is better off not being a volunteer levelhoard site. There's many others that are like that.

also those PK3s are not the originals but are repacks. Repacks are evil due to CRC checksum reasons

Edited 49 seconds after the original posting.

Takkie Rep. 1798
#3   18 Feb 2015
Ah thanks for pointing out that these are repacks. I'll see if i can find the originals. (I only play offline so i have no issues with CRC checksums).
btw. I just wanted to share a great level i never saw before. I have no intention to discuss or to debate on the ..::LvL policy on map submissions...
Tig Rep. 1652
#4   18 Feb 2015
It may be best to try and get in touch with the author and suggest they submit the maps - or ask if you can submit the maps on their behalf.

A small number of maps have gone up in the past that have not been submitted by the author. For most of them there has not been an issue, but there has been the odd minor issue with some too. Mostly it has been a surprise to the author to find their work listed when they did not send it in.

BTW, I have no issue with you listing maps you have found that are not on ..::LvL.

KommissarReb (SW12) Rep. 2362
#5   19 Feb 2015
On one side, it may be flattering to have someone think your work is good enough to be submitted here; as this site has better quality maps than Map Factory or Worldspawn where any type of map is accepted. Of course, I did enjoy playing some of the low quality maps because I thought they were fun to play.

On the other hand, if I was a map author who got a ton of angry emails for submitting a map of mine that wasn't well received, I would probably be more than unhappy with whoever submitted it. For example, there are map authors who have submitted maps on here like ENTE for example, who submitted a ton of his (assuming male) maps to here. Some of his maps remain on Worldspawn, and he probably doesn't want them submitted here because some of them...cough adultshop cough...aren't really ..::LvL material, even though in the past we've had rejectable maps that are still listed.

The only problem with contacting the authors of maps that were made in the 2000's and especially 1999 is its likely that they are no longer teenage map makers, and are now in their late 30's and off to greener pastures. Their websites and emails that we used to be able to contact them with, are likely dead now.

P.S.- Does anyone know the real reason why map-factory is gone? I'm guessing they got in trouble for too many "authors" like Benjamin Pulido submitting copyrighted content, but I heard they had some technical difficulty: forums.epicgames.c...map-factory-org

Edited 37 days after the original posting.

FragTastic Rep. 2343
#6   20 Feb 2015
@KommissaReb(SW12): I knew map-factory was gone but I never knew it was for that reason. Benjamin Pullido was by the most fradulent author out of them all infact I don't even consider him an author. He even had the audacity to re-edit the original Readme documents and take out the original authors name and put his name in instead so he wouldn't get caught in the act. I'm not gonna lie, I was actually using map-factory before I came to ..::Lvl and I loved the maps on there but the problem was it wasn't a trustworthy site due to authors posting stuff which wasn't theres.
Takkie Rep. 1798
#7   20 Feb 2015
Updated the .zip files with the original .pk3's.
For a fix in atrocity i added an other .pk3 in the .zip and i added a .pk3 in the hektik.zip to add a .arena file. I also added a little .txt to credit the authors.
And that is the thing here on ..::LvL. map authors need to create a correct .zip with a .txt file to get their map accepted for review. Also Tig and a lot of visitors/users of ..::LvL are long-time and well known participants in the q3 community. Submitting a stolen map will come out. And i never noticed something ever happened like that here. All credit to Tig to create and maintain such a trustworthy map-database.
There are a few (slowly decreasing) amount of map-database/pubs that offer download support for q3 maps. Most of them only provide the .pk3 wich lack the .txt file that was in the original .zip (i personally don't mind, seen some of my own too...)
I don't see myself contacting map authors to submit there maps to ..::LvL.
Still i like to share some quality maps that are not here on ..::LvL
Thought it could be a nice topic.
Btw. Thanks Tig for having no problem with this. :D

Edited 3.25 hours after the original posting.

Blood Rep. 334
#8   27 Mar 2015
I like this map for its creepy ambient music, not so nuts about the level tho its not bad.
ws.q3df.org/map/wolf3dm1/
Been hunting for new tracks to play in any future maps i make, dont really want to use the base ones. Theres some great ones, one of my favs is lvlworld.com/review/id:1939 which isnt mentioned in the review, for shame!

If we are making suggestions for additions, we should add in additions for any archives of custom sound, textures, and models files that could spice up new maps. As Takkie mentioned "There are a few (slowly decreasing) amount of map-database/pubs that offer download support for q3 maps". Resources can be tough to come by, so if people also post new resource material links and not just new map posts, it could be very useful for us here. Most of us here at least dabble in map making dont we?

Edited 34.45 minutes after the original posting.

Blood Rep. 334
#9   28 Mar 2015
Winter/christmas version of the edge, wish there was music but oh well still nice.
ftp://excessiveplus.net/...wintersedge.pk3
And a nice work by Quint thats not here, with nice custom music very fitting.
dl.q3files.com/woa.pk3

Edited 1.23 minutes after the original posting.

Blood Rep. 334
#10   30 Mar 2015
www.cgtextures.com/
Great archive of a whole wide range of potential textures. Lots of new inspiration comes with these beauties.
CZghost Rep. 1681
#11   31 Mar 2015
ad 10: Yeah, I also download textures from there, it has really great quality textures and it's quite easy to edit them for personal purposes with Photoshop (for example make seamless texture if not available) :)

For example I need to have seamless texture of certain roof, but no seamless texture for that type was available, so I made one myself using photo resource...

Blood Rep. 334
#12   01 Apr 2015
www.freesfx.co.uk/
Good collection of music and sound files, some may find useful.
CZghost Rep. 1681
#13   01 Apr 2015
Thank you for new sounds archive :)
Takkie Rep. 1798
#14   08 Apr 2015
I love that map woa.
I was sure it was here on lvl ;)
Guess not

Here is a lovely map by Castle: genq1dm1
IMO one of his best:
nl.ws.q3df.org/map/Genq1dm1/
a great remake

Blood Rep. 334
#15   11 Apr 2015
More great textures: opengameart.org/textures/all
Blood Rep. 334
#16   14 May 2015
Pretty vast archives to browse
-www.environment-textures.com/

Edited 2.25 minutes after the original posting.

Only registered members can post a reply.
Already registered? Sign in.

bball
Clear