ioquake 3 or standard?
Started by I_like_quake
I_like_quake Rep. 113
#1   12 Jan 2015
Just wanted to see if people preferred one or the other. What are the general improvements or bug fixes that ioquake 3 does? Ever since I changed my q3config to read only Ive had very few problems with standard quake 3 but am still curious if ioquake 3 is better
Takkie Rep. 1798
#2   12 Jan 2015
I prefer ioq3.
I can set my own screen size (1400x900) wich q3 can't. The skyboxes are seamless...
And there are numerous other fixes.
Ioq3 hase become my baseq3.
Off topic: Currently exploring the excessiveplus mod
leilei Rep. 413
#3   12 Jan 2015
For Quake3 alone I just use FnQuake3 since it backports some of my OpenArena engine fixes I consider essential (Compatible horizontal expansion for widescreen resolutions eliminating 'fov config tweaks', working overbrights), and it has other neat things like configurable cvars for 2d widescreen treatment, and missing textures don't look so crap either. A more unseen thing that's nice is the better memory management so very textured maps don't take the engine down requiring a memory parameter.

FYI Quake3 always supported r_customWidth/Height.

Edited 19.52 minutes after the original posting.

Takkie Rep. 1798
#4   12 Jan 2015
FYI Quake3 always supported r_customWidth/Height

That's good to know :D

Also a noticable difference between q3 and ioq3 / OA is the railgun color.
q3 contains a bug that colours the fx on the railgun black.
In ioq3 and OA (iirc) the fx colour is the same as the colour of the rail-beam.

Tig Rep. 1682
#5   12 Jan 2015
I use ioquake3 (64bit version) on Linux. As far as I know, there is no id Software 64bit Linux version. The exact version I'm using and why is posted here: lvlworld.com/threa...64bit%20version
I_like_quake Rep. 113
#6   13 Jan 2015
I tried ioquake 3, turned off mouse acceleration and everything seemed the same. Sound is a bit off for me tho, not sure how to describe it. I shoot a rocket or some plasma and cant hear it when its a few feet away from me like in q3.
I also had q3 running on 1024 com_hunkmegs and never had any problems with skyboxes after.
Edit: Nvm fixed the sound issue with a simple cvar. However ioquake 3 still doesnt feel as responsive than the original

Edited 10 days after the original posting.

GuitarMan Rep. 468
#7   07 Mar 2015
Basically, ioquake3 is like an improved version of the original Q3. Some issues may arise, but it's basically due to hardware. Besides, the latest stable ioq3 version is old (5 years, as they said themselves) but they've got test builds that they keep updating from time to time, although they're not guaranteed to be stable, you can try them here: ioquake3.org/get-it/test-builds/

Only registered members can post a reply.
Already registered? Sign in.

unholy
Clear