..::LvL HTML5 Video Test
Locked, Started by Tig
Tig Rep. 1682
#1   09 Oct 2012
Hello people. I've been doing some HTML5 Video test and to be honest, I like the results.

I've put together a test page so you can help test. Let me know if you have any issues, or anything else.

The test page: lvlworld.com/html5VideoTest.php

CZghost Rep. 1681
#2   09 Oct 2012
Hmm, looks like the video is much slower than sound...
KommissarReb (SW12) Rep. 2372
#3   10 Oct 2012
Worked fine for me. I haven't figured out how to get CZghost's demo working. I put his demo file for kineterra1 in demos in missionpack but it doesn't show up on the list of demos ingame. I also don't know how you uploaded that.
Tig Rep. 1682
#4   10 Oct 2012
@CZghost: Are you using IE9? For some reason, IE sucks for HTML5 Video support. I'm hoping Microsoft will get their act together and fix it. If you are not using IE9, let me know your system specs and browser please.

@SW12: CZGhost used a "Drop Box" account, there are free and paid versions. Visit dropbox.com/ for more details. Make a new thread if you want to discuss Drop Box however please :]

CZghost Rep. 1681
#6   11 Oct 2012
@Tig: I'm using Google Chrome on Win XP SP3, Pentium 4 CPU 2.66 GHz 3 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 9800 GT graphics card
Have couple of files on inner HDD, some extra files + downloads on extern HDD...

@SW12: Add kineterra1_demo0001.dm_68 in your missionpack/demos folder and try to launch demo via /demo kineterra1_demo0001 command. If you don't rename the downloaded file (or overwrite a file with that name while downloading), it may work. Aslo if you're running in sv_pure 1 settings, it may cause these problems...
And you must have the level in your missionpack folder, too. Or you cannot launch that demo and it will print something as MAP KINETERRA1 WAS NOT FOUND error.
Edited 1.87 minutes after the original posting.

Tig Rep. 1682
#7   11 Oct 2012
Nothing wrong with your system specs or browser, but maybe your system was a little overloaded.

Maybe press "CTRL+SHIFT+ESC" (then the Performance Tab) and have a look at your system load, then look at the test video again.

Does your system max out?

CZghost Rep. 1681
#8   12 Oct 2012
100% of CPU in use while playing the video.
Maybe give users the option of two versions: Flash and HTML5 video...
Tig Rep. 1682
#9   12 Oct 2012
What is weird is a Nexus 7 Tablet using an Arm chip (Quad-core 1.3 GHz Cortex-A9) has no issues at all. The P4 CPU you have must be missing some kind of feature that HTML5 video uses.

My CPU (Core 2 Duo, 3.16GHz) usage hardly moves at all when watching the video.

As far as I know there have only been two issues so far, yours and someone with a very old version of Firefox. The old Firefox issue can be ignored because that user should really upgrade.

I do need to fall back to Flash video for IE8 users, so I'll look at a video option switch for registered users. This may not happen however, lets wait and see.

Edit:
@CZghost: Looking into your issue a bit more and looks like the problem is most likely your CPU. You are far from the only person with an old P4 CPU and video issues with HTML5. Some people are also seeing issues with the latest Flash and video (when full screen enabled).
Edited 1.84 hours after the original posting.

PaN61 Rep. 385
#10   12 Oct 2012
I don't have any problem at all viewing the new HTML5 Flash Video. I think it's a good change for the better and for the future.
Tig Rep. 1682
#11   12 Oct 2012
@PaN61: HTML5 Video means no plugins, there is no 'Flash' involved at all. Flash Video is still used if the browser does not support HTML5 Video which is currently only IE8, IE7 or very old browsers.

So, it is 'HTML5 Video' or 'Flash Video', not 'HTML5 Flash Video' :]

PaN61 Rep. 385
#12   12 Oct 2012
Whoops, my mistake, apologies.
CZghost Rep. 1681
#13   13 Oct 2012
@Tig:
Looking into your issue a bit more and looks like the problem is most likely your CPU. You are far from the only person with an old P4 CPU and video issues with HTML5. Some people are also seeing issues with the latest Flash and video (when full screen enabled).

How many years you exactly mean in 'old'? My system hardware is just one year old, maybe newer... If you meant that, on what exactly I have to upgrade when using over 6 years old computer, but with the all hardware components newer than 1 year? The elementary desk is also newer than real age of the computer...

I don't know the Google Chrome version now exactly, but I'm sure it's the newest one. So you think the biggest problem is CPU?

Tig Rep. 1682
#14   13 Oct 2012
CPU is the issue (I believe) if you have a Pentium 4. This would be consistent with your CPU usage hitting 100% when testing the video.

The last P4 was pressed in 2007, so I'm a little unsure how you managed to pick up a P4 last year unless it is old stock.

Core 2 was introduced to replace the P4 in 2006. More details here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_4

CZghost Rep. 1681
#15   13 Oct 2012
My dad believed a year ago it's all the assets the perfect new... I'm surprised the latest one have been introduced in 2007...
CZghost Rep. 1681
#16   28 Oct 2012
Hmm, I had to clean my computer from the dust, now it's perfectly smooth :)
Tig Rep. 1682
#17   28 Oct 2012
Hahah... wow, that is something. Maybe your computer was overheating!
CZghost Rep. 1681
#18   28 Oct 2012
Yes, now it's working in double speed and smoothly. I hate dust, I have only troubles with that...
GuitarMan Rep. 468
#19   30 Oct 2012
Video works for me, it's a little slow (like 1/2 of normal speed or something like that) but I don't know if it's supposed to work that way.

I'm on Firefox 16.0.2, Ubuntu 12.04.1

Tig Rep. 1682
#20   30 Oct 2012
No, it should be smooth and play at the correct speed. That is a shame. Do you have any issues with the current videos?

Only registered members can post a reply.
Already registered? Sign in.

ktulu
Clear