[BETA] p61ctf1 "Opposing Force"
Started by PaN61
PaN61 Rep. 385
#1   06 Feb 2012
I have finally finished my first map for a beta release.
The Beta 1 release is available from Quake 3 World: www.quake3world.co...m/viewtopic.php

Any Feedback is welcome and will be appreciated.
Edited 41 seconds after the original posting.

FragTastic Rep. 2353
#2   07 Feb 2012
Looks cool actually. But it's very small ):. It's a simple and straight-forward map which i like :).
PaN61 Rep. 385
#3   07 Feb 2012
Thanks for the feedback. This thread was mainly produced for the purpose of telling people that only browse ..::LvL, that a beta of my first map is available at Quake 3 World. I was thinking that the map would have been exceeding the suitable size limit to oversized (Same as themuffinman stated at Quake 3 World), but in your eyes it seemed very small.

I will only be posting updates and other information over at Quake 3 World so apologies to those people who were expecting updates here.

FragTastic Rep. 2353
#4   08 Feb 2012
Np mate :). Yeah it does seem small because i normally play the map with 7 - 10 bots and i just cant play the map with that amount of bots.
Tig Rep. 1682
#5   15 Apr 2012
Posted on behalf of PaN61:

Greetings everyone. Just liked to give a heads up for anyone viewing this forum that Beta 2 of my first quake 3 map has been released over at Quake 3 World forums: www.quake3world...c.php

Feedback will be welcome on this 2nd beta, so please don't be afraid to test the map out and post any feedback at the Quake 3 World forums.

PaN61 Rep. 385
#6   15 Apr 2012
Thank you Tigger-oN. I appreciate it very much.
CZghost Rep. 1681
#7   19 Apr 2012
I'm recreating this map to Team Arena challenge (I've found the style usable in this mod)
PaN61 Rep. 385
#8   19 Apr 2012
But remember CZghost, the one that you are working off is Beta 2 (Essentially the latest version to date), meaning it's not yet the final version of the map. There are some flaws that I spotted while testing out Beta 2 that I have to fix for beta 3/the final version. I'm going to make a post at Quake 3 World about if no one else has any more comments or feedback on the map, that I will be releasing it for the final version (with my spotted flaws fixed). I will wait a couple more days so that people can play it and then give feedback on before posting the post about it.
CZghost Rep. 1681
#9   20 Apr 2012
Yes, I take the care... While you're correcting the flaws, I'm re-biulding corners of platforms and little stairs (making them more realistic)
As you're correcting your map, take few seconds to see my optimisations of the corners...
img687.imageshack....pltstrcorn1.png
img443.imageshack....pltstrcorn2.png
PaN61 Rep. 385
#10   20 Apr 2012
I see what you mean. I might include the optimizations in the current 3rd beta that I'm making, but It's not final whether or not I will include them at this stage.
CZghost Rep. 1681
#11   21 Apr 2012
Thx heap... It was just an alert to some layout flaws, you probably haven't seen...
CZghost Rep. 1681
#12   29 Apr 2012
Opposing Teams - Team Arena level news

Have added some Team Arena features (items). I've added Invulnerability in both bases, prepared screens to video. Have created new shader with blue and red team icons for video creation, these won't be replaced by selected teams' icons (ID's videos haven't the 'Red Team' & 'Blue Team' icons replaced by team icons determined by script). Railgun have different places in different gametypes: In CTF and Overload, the railgun is on the neutral lower platform, in OneFlag and Harvester, it's placed in both neutral areas on higher platforms. Added runes to get the TA gameplay onto top. Replaced Shotgun with Chaingun. Added Nailgun. Personal Teleporter is no longer unavaible. Some layout fixes were produced, such as making the corners more real. 'Ow' textures were replaced with floor texture around, added weapon pads under all guns. I haven't removed the ow textures from the PK3, haven't edited shader file (remove all shaders for ow floor textures).

] So in short, Level slowly becomes a real TA challenge. [

PaN61 Rep. 385
#13   29 Apr 2012
Thanks for the news, CZghost. I'm almost finished with my work-in-progress 3rd beta. There's still some more things on my To Do List that I have to add/modify/fix. Opposing Force is on it's way to a final, finished level. I can't guarantee the date to when it will be finished, but the thing that everyone should know is: It's in progress.
CZghost Rep. 1681
#14   29 Apr 2012
OK. I've repaired corners in neutral areas and half'n'quarter the blue base. The quarter of blue base and red base waits for it's corners repair.

Would you see screenshots from the editor? In-game screenshots cannot be posted before I'll finish the TA rework. Also will include the screenvideo within...

PaN61 Rep. 385
#15   29 Apr 2012
I wouldn't want to ruin the surprise of the remake, if you know what I mean. I will be happy to wait for your map to be finished before viewing any screenshots of the map.
CZghost Rep. 1681
#16   29 Apr 2012
OK. While I'm continuing in level reworking, you can get Team Arena to try the map out (download or buy, it's about you). Don't install, just copy index of folder missionpack to your game folder. Then re-install Quake 3 to get the point release 1.32 also in the TA...

Then you can make also team arena maps, just make some edits in editor shaders to prevent from Shader Image Missing texture. Like base_wall2.shader have wrong qer_editorimage reputation, edit it for blue and neutral weaponpad (copy the swirl texture to the editorimage, I've done exactly the same). You can also uncomment the models & models2 in shaderlist + copy the models(2).shader into the scripts folder, make in the copies some changes on powerups (items) shaders for qer_editorimage (find shaders with different name than assigned texturemaps). Where you find also blendfunc add or blendfunc GL_ONE GL_ONE, you can add also qer_trans with decimal number presenting opacity (0.5 means 50% opacity. Also works short variant .5)

CZghost Rep. 1681
#17   01 May 2012
Opposing Teams - Compilation crash

I've tried to compile the map, but seems to be too large. It was compiling over half day... Must pass some minor edits in worldspawn entity...
] Added the -fast, but it has rapidly slowed at Trace Grid stage. I must increase the blocksize of worldspawn [

PaN61 Rep. 385
#18   01 May 2012
Yeah. The same thing happened to me when compiling my 2nd beta. The compile was taking over 24 hours just on the VIS stage and was still compiling the VIS stage. After adding the -fast parameter, it cut compile time dramatically. Although the lighting stage did take about 6-7 hours excluding -fast parameter (I think it greatly improves the map from the extra few hours of light stage compile).
CZghost Rep. 1681
#19   01 May 2012
I've removed the -fast option since it compiled the map in fullbright... I wanna not the full bright option, I wanna just cut compile time. So I've increased the blocksize to have the whole map in four parts in XY view...
CZghost Rep. 1681
#20   07 May 2012
Opposing Teams news - compilation's faster, thanx to detailed brushes

Compilation's much faster since I've centered the map into X0 Y0 in grid and setted detail to some non-layout brushes (like coversheets or hangpillars under launchramps). But It's killing the processor, I need to improve it more...
Edited 18 seconds after the original posting.

Group 1 of 2

Only registered members can post a reply.
Already registered? Sign in.

edgy1
Clear