Looking for a specific map...
Started by themuffinator
themuffinator Rep. 1044
#1   26 Nov 2011
Howdy pardners!

I'm busy theming a map I did a while ago into a snowy xmas theme at the moment. I'm looking for an icey-themed duel map in particular that I saw ages ago to borrow textures and theme ideas from. It's such a damn sexy map and plays brilliantly too, I just can't remember what it was called. It's pretty small and has piles of snow scattered around it and sort of a blue metal theme... anyone know which map that is?

It's NOT any of these maps:
Ice Storn by SoKaR
The Big Chill by Yogi
Quake3Stuff by Senn

Regards

Takkie Rep. 1798
#2   27 Nov 2011
jax_gator's dead of winter? perhaps (lvlworld.com/ Oct 2011&m=All&p=review)
themuffinator Rep. 1044
#3   27 Nov 2011
Found it! :)
Discontent by Kamarov: lvlworld.com/review.php
themuffinator Rep. 1044
#4   27 Nov 2011
Btw this made me think of a feature that could be quite useful for LvL - map keywords! Let active members of the site describe maps with one word phrases and this could be searchable. Advanced search options could let people specify whether they'd want to show results using keywords or not, etc.. This would make finding maps played ages ago much easier.

Edit: And off-tpoic, hey Tig, so how's your mod doing now that the full D3 source code is available? :D
Edited 1.77 minutes after the original posting.

Takkie Rep. 1798
#5   27 Nov 2011
Cool, love that map, kamq3dm2. iirc it was in the same competition as the quake3stuff map from Senn, discontent came second...
Edited 2.4 minutes after the original posting.
Tig Rep. 1652
#6   27 Nov 2011
Keywords: I really like the idea of members adding them! Keywords have been on the 'to-do' list for a long time. I think I'll make them a priority and try to get them added to the site as soon as I can (that should be read as 'when I get a chance' really).

Keywords were low on the to-do list because I was thinking I would be the one adding them to all the maps. With the help of members, they seem a lot less daunting.

D3 Source: Yer, I saw that it was released. There are only two small things I was wanting in the D3 engine, and I've worked around them. I'm more keen to get the mod done than to start extending it even more :]

Edit: Type-o only change.
Edited 54.95 minutes after the original posting.

EmeraldTiger Rep. 2581
#7   27 Nov 2011
I like the idea of keywords. :)

Yup the D3 source removed stencil shadow support due to legal disputes regarding the "Reverse of Carmack". It's a shame, since that was a large part of what made the id tech 4 engine more realistic. Good to hear you got around them though, I suppose you used a stencil shadow tutorial? :)

Looking forward to the map btw TheMuffinMan.

themuffinator Rep. 1044
#8   28 Nov 2011
@Tig: Yeah keywords could come in really handy. Just to make sure you don't get people trolling the keyword system you could have a log of all keywords done recently and if someone is messing around you could remove the strange keywords and/or remove the ability of that member editing keywords again. There I go brainstorming again! :D

@EmeraldTiger: Thanks bro. As for stencil shadowing I personally hate the stuff and was one of my major grudges against Tech4. Q3's cg_shadows 3 is not much worse, and that is terrible! Stencil shadows just project harsh shadows with no blur or variance. Shadow volume mapping (like in Tech5) or raytracing (to be in Tech6) is far superior. It shouldn't take long for some genius to fix up D3's shadowing.

FragTastic Rep. 2343
#9   09 Jan 2012
I love Ice Storm By SoKaR Its such a wonderful map.
KommissarReb (SW12) Rep. 2362
#10   29 Jul 2014
I am looking for a map that I saw over 4 years ago that I cannot seem to find. My mind might be playing tricks on me, but I'm sure its somewhere on this site.

When I was looking for Castle CTF, I instead stumbled upon another map that intrigued me, but I didn't think to download it. The (or one of the) screenshot was facing toward a corner where two walls meet, both have doors. The textures on these walls were stone, decorated with vines or moss. The textures were castle-like, or at least stone bricks. There was no roof in that section of the map from what I remember, and I don't remember anything else of the map other than what I just described.

If anybody can help me find this map (if it exists) your help would be appreciated. The screenshot here lvlworld.com/media/id:194 looks similar, but I don't think its it. My memory of what I saw was also kind of shaky so this may have been it, but I hope not as I remember this map to be mysterious (at least to me)

Before anybody says it, I bumped a years old discussion because the thread title is the one I was going to use. I figured instead of creating another thread post of the same type, why not use an existing one?

Edited 1.6 minutes after the original posting.

lurker Rep. 10
#11   13 May 2022
Most of the discussion happened in the Palace of Arioch comments, but this forum post was 4 years more recent. If you are still looking, is there any chance the Palace of Arioch-ish map is Lloyd Morris's Ancient Archipelago?
lvlworld.com/review/id:194
vs. lvlworld.com/review/id:367

Only registered members can post a reply.
Already registered? Sign in.

vpldm4
Clear