MothCTF - map designed for 32 players
Started by Moth
Moth Rep. 0
#1   10 Nov 2020
I spent 3 months (full-time) on this, went without sleep for many nights. It is absolutely enormous and nearly broke Q3MAP2! - I'd love your feedback. Link is here:

steamcommunity.com...es/filedetails/

16 v 16 player games with bots are more fun than they have any right to be.
Thanks for looking at my work. I am humbled. Is this good enough for Lvl ?

raspatan Rep. 4508
#2   10 Nov 2020
Does it work in Q3? Also, about your other maps. Why not make a Q3 version?
Tig Rep. 1652
#3   10 Nov 2020
@Moth : Please feel welcome to submit a download link for any Quake 3 Arena maps you have made. A lot more information about the submission process can be found here: lvlworld.com/howtosubmit
arcan770077f Rep. 30
#4   23 Nov 2020
@Moth post it on LVL! I'll be happy to check it out. I did the same thing a few years back. 32 players. Compiling it was a pain too, but in the end it turned out to be ton of fun. :) lvlworld.com/media/id:2324
Moth Rep. 0
#5   29 Nov 2020
Thanks for your reply. This is not a Q3 map but a QL map (Quake Live)
I am considering making a Q3 build but ti'd mean cross-referencing every texture to make sure that A) none are missing and B) I am not distributing QL assets

I am a bit stuck and would really value any advice that you would care to give me.
As of 10 minutes ago (28th November 2020) the map is now in final beta & at maximum levels of beautiful (gorgeous dirtmaps, 2hour compile) How to proceed?
Edited 58 seconds after the original posting.
Edited 1.8 minutes after the original posting.

Tig Rep. 1652
#6   29 Nov 2020
Hey Moth.

If your level has really been made for 32 players, then it is huge. Quake 3 has been designed for Tourney, DM, Team DM and CTF (at its core).

CTF and Team DM games where designed for 4 to 8 players with the option to expand up. Very few maps have much success over 16 players.

There is a reason for this. Could you imagine trying to get more than 16 players on to a server with a custom map at the same time? Unless you are at a LAN, this is going to be difficult. Even at a LAN, it will be hard as people will come and go all the time. You will also have some lag issues, but that should be less of an issue these days compared to 20 years ago.

On ..::LvL there are a small number of maps made with larger player loads. Check for yourself. Here is a starting point for maps with 8 to 16 player loads: lvlworld.com/searc.../8-16%20players

As you have clearly put a lot of work into your release, you are more than welcome to submit a Q3A version.

My suggestion to you (without seeing the release) would be to break the map up into smaller sections with a player load geared towards 2 to 8 players and release a number of smaller version of the bigger QL map for Q3A.

richoi Rep. 70
#7   30 Nov 2020
i looked at Mighty Beast (MothCTF) on steam's workshop (linked above) and it visually looks nice. if you decide to make a quake3 version and keep it large i would like to suggest the addition of a grapple. for me, large maps without a grapple is time spent in too much energy trying to find items and get to locations; also, the addition of bot support would be nice. thank you.
themuffinator Rep. 1044
#8   30 Nov 2020
In fairness the map does seem large, but not overly complex (only 3 main areas to each base, no neutral ground.) I think the oversized spaces and abundance of ramps would make it very fast in PQL and workable for 4v4.

Find suitable replacements for these assets (and the ammo_pack entities) and you're on the way towards a Q3TA build:

sound/ambient/fan.wav
sound/ambient/loop_telehum.wav
textures/ad_content/1x1_sfx
textures/ad_content/2x1
textures/ad_content/8x1_sfx
textures/base_floor/clang_floor4
textures/base_floor2/clang_floor3bstairtop_wide
textures/base_light/ceil1_22a_5k
textures/base_light/ceil1_30_5K
textures/base_light/geolight4_1k
textures/base_light/light5_3k_blue
textures/base_light/striplight_blue2
textures/base_light/striplight_red_500
textures/base_trim/cautionstripes_07
textures/base_wall/concrete_darktrim_blue_2
textures/base_wall/concrete_darktrim_red_2
textures/base_wall/metal_ribbed_02
textures/ct_infinity/trim_01
textures/ctf/ctf_blueflag2_still
textures/ctf/ctf_blueflag3
textures/ctf/ctf_redflag2_still
textures/ctf/ctf_redflag3
textures/ctf2/blueteam03
textures/ctf2/redteam03
textures/proto2/cables
textures/proto2/grimy_ceiling_painted
textures/proto2/heat_tile03
textures/proto2/pipewall01_noalpha
textures/proto2/proto_lightamber_500
textures/proto2/steam02
textures/proto2/tin_floor05big
textures/proto2/wallctfbluetrim
textures/proto2/wallctfredtrim
textures/sfx/blue_techfloor_kc
textures/sfx/ntrl_techfloor_kc_teal
textures/sfx/red_techfloor_kc
textures/sfx/tesla1_nonsolid
textures/sfx/wall_jump_blue
textures/skies/meth_clouds_green
textures/terrain/qzterra1_pond1
textures/terrain/qzterra2_rock1

Moth Rep. 0
#9   30 Nov 2020
Grapple and bots are already fully supported, this map has been through nearly 300 iterations (!!) - player count can go down to 6v6 and is still fun.
Thanks for the list of assets to address, this is very useful.
Edited 20.8 minutes after the original posting.
Mapsking Rep. 382
#10   21 Dec 2020
Not sure if this will help, but there is a pack of free high-res textures made for Q3. It is also here on LVL at lvlworld.com/mod/a2z:1/id:16

It might be useful as you mentioned the distribution of QL assets.

Only registered members can post a reply.
Already registered? Sign in.

center
Clear