How do you make a shooter entity in GTKRadiant that targets players?
KommissarReb (SW12) Rep. 2332
#1   02 Nov 2018
Right now I'm trying to make a plasma turret in GTK radiant where the player enters an area and the shooter entities fire at them specifically, instead of a target_position entity. I read on worldspawn that you don't need target_position if the shooter entity is a shooter_plasma_targetplayer ws.q3df.org/level_design/shooters/ I made a trigger brush, made the key "targetname" and the value "targetplayer". I made the shooter_plasma_targetplayer's key "target" and value "targetplayer". I tested this ingame by walking through the trigger brush and nothing happens. I switched the values around where the shooter has "target" and the trigger has "targetname", and still nothing happens. According to the GTK Radiant manual, touching the trigger brush should activate the trigger.

Can someone explain what I'm doing wrong? I tried looking this up so I wouldn't need to make this post, but found nothing helpful (this wasn't even covered in the GTKRadiant manual for some reason).

Martinus Rep. 592
#2   03 Nov 2018
Are you trying to make a map for Defrag?
#3   03 Nov 2018
No, it's going to be a vanilla Quake 3 map. What I'm trying to do is make a "tank" (rocket shooter) and a bunch of "soldiers" (plasma and grenade shooters) fire at wherever the player happens to be within the trigger (it's going to be a terrain map).

Is Worldspawn telling the truth that you can make shooter entities that fire at the player's position instead of requiring a "target_position"? Because I don't know what I'm not doing correctly if they're telling the truth.

Edited 1.65 minutes after the original posting.

Martinus Rep. 592
#4   03 Nov 2018
Defrag has shooter_grenade_targetplayer , shooter_plasma_targetplayer , shooter_rocket_targetplayer entities.
Vanilla Quake 3 don't.
If you download Defrag ( q3defrag.org/files/defrag/ ), and go into the defrag/scripts folder, you can find the defrag.def file, which contains these informations (about the shooters).
#5   04 Nov 2018
Well, thanks for clearing that up. Worldspawn had me going there, as they didn't specify that they were talking about deFrag. But even without I could make do with specific target_position entities instead for what I'm trying to do.

Only registered members can post a reply.
Already registered? Sign in.

phdm2
Clear