swap weapons in a map?
Started by I_like_quake
I_like_quake Rep. 113
#1   14 Apr 2014
Hey guys just had a quick question
is it possible to switch a weapon in a map for another like change the gl spawn so that it could spawn a pg instead?
If so can we change power ups too from a regen to a haste or battlesuit? A battlesuit certainly would "spice up" a stalemate ctf on the stronghold with nightmare bots and every single ctf map Ive downloaded I would switch the gl for a pg or lg but thats just me
Tig Rep. 1672
#2   14 Apr 2014
You can create a .ent file and use q3map2 to update a bsp file with the new entities.

I'm unsure what the syntax is for an .ent file, but it should not be too hard to find. I think the CPMA and/or OSP mods use .ent files.

Some info here: en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Q3Map2/BSP (the -onlyents switch)

I also remember a very old mod that allowed for in-game entity editing, but I have no idea what is was called and a quick search turned up nothing. Maybe someone else knows?

Update: I believe the syntax of .ent file looks like this:

{
"classname" "ammo_lightning"
"origin" "1812 2340 48"
}
{
"classname" "misc_teleporter_dest"
"targetname" "upper_sg"
"origin" "325 120 144"
"angle" "270"
}

PaN61 Rep. 385
#3   14 Apr 2014
You will have to decompile .bsp file for the map if there is no .map file publicly available (Best option would be to ask for permission from the author to obtain the .map file due to legal reasons). However, I don't believe you have to ask for permission if it's for your own personal use. I have heard that decompiling a .bsp can produce a messy .map file with the co-ordinates of entities being misaligned (Need correction on this). This is why I only decompile if I need to see how something is done in a map - So I would tread with caution.

Then you use a map editor like GTK Radiant or Net Radiant to open that .map file and manually replace the existing weapon spawns with another weapon spawn or change whatever you like really. It's as simple as that.

Tig Rep. 1672
#4   14 Apr 2014
@PaN61: To update the entities on a BSP, you do NOT need the .map source file, just a compiled .bsp and a .ent file. Check the link I posted. Also, the mod I remember seeing and using worked on existing .bsp without access to the .map file.
PaN61 Rep. 385
#5   14 Apr 2014
Ahh, I didn't know that. A very useful and efficient method indeed.
I_like_quake Rep. 113
#6   15 Apr 2014
holy crap I thought it would be a simple console command or something. This seems a little intimidating for someone who doesnt make maps but I will give a try
Takkie Rep. 1798
#7   17 Apr 2014
There was/is this mod called super configurable arena or super configurable team arena (SCTA) i don't know if it is still out there on the web. With this mod you could add and remove any item. Change placement of flags etc.etc. You could even make a dm map ctf by adding flags. It worked with .ent files like Tig said.
Takkie Rep. 1798
#8   17 Apr 2014

Only registered members can post a reply.
Already registered? Sign in.

hotdog2
Clear