How do I fix the adding bots error?
Started by CarrotCroissant7
CarrotCroissant7 Rep. 0
#1   19 Sep 2024
Hi.
I've been playing Quake Sandbox which is kind of similar to Quake 3.

Recently I downloaded lots of cool Quake 3 player models & skins to use in Quake Sandbox.

Now I have a problem that when I add certain bots to the game from the add bots menu they won't spawn & I come across this error which I notice in the console. For example "Error: Bot 'Anarki' not defined"

I'm wondering if the problem might be caused because I have too many player models & skins & clogging up the memory in Quake Sandbox.

I read one of the forum posts on this website that was about the same problem. Only it was to do with Quake 3.
Here's the link lvlworld.com/thread/315/1.
In this link I found out there's a g_bot.c file & that the problem maybe linked with that.

There's also a g_bot.c file in Quake Sandbox. Should I edit the g_bot.c file to resolve this problem & how? Would it resolve the problem if I edited this file?

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Tig Rep. 2312
#2   19 Sep 2024
@CarrotCroissant7 - Quake Sandbox is a standalone game that can include or extend Quake 3 but can also work without Quake 3.

It sounds to me like you have Quake Sandbox but do not have Quake 3. If that is the case, you would have to buy a copy of Quake 3, install it, then copy the baseq3/pak*.pk3 files to Quake Sandbox.

Alternatively you could code all the missing bots yourself. If any custom bots are included in Quake Sandbox, use them as a base for the ones that are missing by copying and renaming the files.

CarrotCroissant7 Rep. 0
#3   19 Sep 2024
I do have Quake 3 & I moved the bots & their player models to Quake Sandbox.

All the Quake 3 bots & the bots I created were working perfectly. But they stopped working since I downloaded lots of models & skins & added them to Quake Sandbox.

Maybe Quake Sandbox can't handle lots & lots of model & skin files.

Now I don't know what to do. As I said earlier should I edit the g_bot.c file?

Tig Rep. 2312
#4   20 Sep 2024
@CarrotCroissant7 - The problem is going to be within at least one the custom PK3's you have install.

The only option:

1. Move all PK3's except the official Quake 3 and Quake Sandbox PK3's to a temporary folder.
  2. Test the bots (they should work).
  3. Add a few PK3's back and test the bots again.
  4. If there is no issue, add some more and test again.
  5. If there is an issue, one of the PK3's you just added has a script error. One at a time, remove the PK3's just added until you find the faulty PK3.
Because Quake Sandbox uses the MiTech engine, which is a port of Quake3e, it is unlikely you have reached a file limit. The limits on these engines are huge. The problem will most likely be a error in one (or more) of the PK3's you have installed.
CarrotCroissant7 Rep. 0
#5   21 Sep 2024
Thanks.

I'll give that all a try what you've advised me to do.

It will take a long time but hopefully I should have patience.

Once I've finished sorting through the PK3's. I'll let you know the outcome.

CarrotCroissant7 Rep. 0
#6   22 Sep 2024
Great news!

I've made progress after following your advice. I moved the PK3's to a new directory & then gradually moved them back to Quake Sandbox.

The bots are working properly again when I add them to the game. I can add Anarki or any other Quake 3 bot. However I've still got a long way to go & I'm still in the process of gradually moving the PK3's back to Quake Sandbox. I'm still keeping an eye out for the faulty PK3 file.

Thanks very much you've been most helpful & I'll learn that tip in future whenever I download lots of player models & skins from the internet.

Noire-dev Rep. 56
#7   24 days ago
Woow, cool^^

Only registered members can post a reply.
Already registered? Sign in.

ggrdm1_b1a
Clear