NextArena
Started by Danil_Dm
Danil_Dm Rep. 46
#1   01 Jul 2021
(moved from Best Quake III mods of all time - lvlworld.com/thread/27/last)

I recently made a standalone NextArena mod
www.moddb.com/mods/nextarena

richoi Rep. 70
#2   02 Jul 2021
@Danil_DM
cool...summary of nice features...just did a very brief look and couple of thoughts (not a review but initial impressions).
  1. download full version then add the 3.1.2 patch.
  2. one may need to change the permissions of the run files (eg. openarena.x86_64, etc) to executeable.
3.) had some issues with player model, legs & head
4.) graphics, textures look better
5.) liking the slow zoom in/out
looking forward to a more in depth run through.
thank you for this mod.
Edited 3.21 hours after the original posting.
Tig Rep. 1662
#3   07 Jul 2021
@Danil_Dm : Just downloaded and checked out NextArena. It appears to be a collection of mods for OpenArena (including OpenArena) with all the documentation and copyright details for the original mods and OpenArena removed.

Any chance you can re-package the release with the correct documentation that credits the original authors? Also, for the changes you have made, could you include either the source code or a link to where the code can be downloaded? A credits.txt with a list of all the mods and their original authors and download links could also be a good idea too.

At the moment, it is like you are trying to take the work of others and claim it as your own. I assume that is not the case, and credit where credit is due will help to remove that.

Danil_Dm Rep. 46
#4   07 Jul 2021
A credits.txt with a list of all the mods and their original authors and download links could also be a good idea too

All this was done by me in 3.5 years.
And all these mods are folders with script files for
CustomMod - a mod system that I also made.

I of course have another project, OpenArenaPlus, which consists of 5 gb of different content.

And I also hasten to notify those who downloaded the 3.1.2 patch before 2021.07.07 an update was released. We need to download this patch again and unpack it with a replacement.
richoi have you played on Linux?
It works or not and how it works badly or well.

had some issues with player model, legs & head.

What kind? The fact that you can change everything separately is so conceived.
Tig Rep. 1662
#5   07 Jul 2021
@Danil_Dm : Are you saying all of the content in the download is yours? Including OpenArena, the models, textures, sounds, maps, etc, - everything?

If that is the case, that is very impressive. Can you please confirm you are the author of all the content.

Danil_Dm Rep. 46
#6   07 Jul 2021
The new maps were made by me via NetRadient.
The entire game code was written by me, I can confirm this by changing the inscription when loading the map

all characters have been discolored for repainting in the game.
Also, everything that is there except openarena is mine

richoi Rep. 70
#7   08 Jul 2021
@Danil_Dm:
richoi have you played on Linux?

i only run linux.
Danil_Dm Rep. 46
#8   09 Jul 2021
@richoi:
I did not test the game on Linux at all, I did everything I hope that everything will work.
Edited 30 seconds after the original posting.
Edited 37 seconds after the original posting.
Tig Rep. 1662
#9   09 Jul 2021
@Danil_Dm : Changing a few lines of code does not mean you wrote all the code from scratch. It means you changed a few lines. Please post a link to where the game code can be downloaded. You are allowed to fork an existing branch of GPL code, but you need to do this publicly and with credit of the original source.

A lot of the sounds, textures, models and shaders that you have included appear to be the work of many different people. You have not credited a single person from what I can tell. Did you request permission to use and include their creative work in your release without crediting? If that is the case, at the very least include that information in a document in the release.

I have also had a report that you do not have permission to repackage and redistribute OpenArena like this. Is it possible you could repackage your release as a mod for OpenArena by removing all OpenArena content? That would resolve all issues with OpenArena.

As it stands, I would not be able list or link to your NextArena release without a few changes due to the copyright issues.

Only registered members can post a reply.
Already registered? Sign in.

dae3tourney1
Clear