I have some problems with Quake 3. Please help.
Started by Bass12
Bass12 Rep. 0
#1   04 Aug 2011
I am installing Quake 3 on my computer. I was looking to update it to the latest version, but have a few problems.
1.Do I have to install multiple patches, if so in what order?
2.I tried patching straight to 1.32 but now my game crashes a lot more...
3.Whenever adding certain bots, there are missing files, for example when I add Bitterman to the game (bot) I get "Could not find file/path/sound/drown.wav - Using Default" every time. I've done numerous reinstalls, don't tell me iD forgot to put certain characters sound effects in the game?

I know these are a lot of questions, I apologize. Any help is appreciated...

Tig Rep. 1672
#2   04 Aug 2011
How are you installing Q3A? From a CD/DVD or over Steam? What version is installed when you have installed the game?

What Operating System are you using and what video card do you have? Do you have the latest video drivers?

The 1.32 patch is all you need to install to bring the game up-to-date.

Have you tried using a different engine (like IOQuake3) once you have the game updated? If so is it the same issue?

And finally, just what is happening when the game crashes? Does the game always crash in the same way? Any more details could really help.

Bass12 Rep. 0
#3   05 Aug 2011
Sorry for the lack of information. I'm using Windows 7.
I am not sure what video card I have, but I have 1.87 Ghz and 3GB RAM

How are you installing Q3A? From a CD/DVD or over Steam? What version is installed when you have installed the game?

Installing from CD-Rom, when I install it (before any updates) and check the version, it says version 1.11

Have you tried using a different engine (like IOQuake3) once you have the game updated? If so is it the same issue?

I'm not sure what you mean by this, is this different from the Quake 3 engine I'm using? Please explain.

And finally, just what is happening when the game crashes? Does the game always crash in the same way? Any more details could really help.

After updating to 1.32 I can be playing a normal match (single or multiplayer) and the game will just freeze. The only way for me to close it is to open Task Manager.
Edited 3.47 minutes after the original posting.
Bass12 Rep. 0
#4   05 Aug 2011
Also if you could help with the previously mentioned problem, Id appreciate it

When adding certain bots (Bitterman, for example) I get this message
"Could not find file/path/sound/drown.wav - Using Default"
Is this a glitch, my own fault, or a problem due to iD?

KommissarReb (SW12) Rep. 2362
#5   05 Aug 2011
Maybe your copy of Quake III on your disk got messed up somehow.
Tig Rep. 1672
#6   05 Aug 2011
OK, at a total guess your video card is the issue, which is either causing your system or video card to over heat. Try to identify video card. If the video card is nvidia or ATi based, then get the official latest drivers for it. Do not use the Microsoft ones.

Next thing to try is make sure you have all the correct files. In your Quake 3 folder, you only need the 'baseq3' folder and a 'Quake3.exe' file. You can and should remove everything else.

In the baseq3 folder, you should have the following files: pak0.pk3, pak1.pk3, pak2.pk3, pak3.pk3, pak4.pk3, pak5.pk3, pak6.pk3, pak7.pk3, pak8.pk3

In order to try and fix the problem, remove all other files.

The missing bot sound files can be ignored.

Start the game and report back :]

IOQuake3 is a custom version of Q3 which has a number of tweaks and improvements. Once you have the default version of Q3 running, I would suggest grabbing a copy of IOQuake3 from here: ioquake3.org/get-it/

Bass12 Rep. 0
#7   06 Aug 2011
Could you give me step by step instructions? I'm a little lost.
So I install Q3 from my CD, update to 1.32, then download IOQUAKE3 and put it in my Q3 directory?
Edited 16 seconds after the original posting.
Tig Rep. 1672
#8   06 Aug 2011
Did you work out what video card and drivers you have?

Yes, just place IOQuake3 in to your Quake 3 folder, then click on it.

Colton Rep. 359
#9   14 Jan 2016
The file is missing from pak0.pk3, this is an error id Software made when they released the game. FInd the High Quality Quake mod and copy the files (bitterman's drown, crash's taunt, & loop_launchpad_02.wav) from that pk3, and put these files into your pak0.pk3. That will fix this error.

Edited 50 days after the original posting.

leilei Rep. 413
#10   14 Jan 2016
and put these files into your pak0.pk3

Don't do this.
This will create more problems, particularly with checksum protection

Colton Rep. 359
#11   26 Feb 2016
What I meant to say was package these audio files into a custom pk3 - I have already done the work for you - just I haven't had time lately to upload the dern pk3 already... EDIT: Finally, here's the pk3: mega.nz/

Edited 7 days after the original posting.

Only registered members can post a reply.
Already registered? Sign in.

sinbolik
Clear