Custom maps server?
Started by EmeraldTiger
EmeraldTiger Rep. 2601
#1   15 Jul 2011
(Im just taking my idea from the "Interesting Servers" thread and putting it into its own thread since I felt it needed it)

Well Im only 15 so I wouldnt be able to manage the costs (not that I dont know how, but still), but what if someone did have the time and resources to just start a Q3 server running custom maps all the time, which would be changed frequently. (about every month) Could include a mix of newer maps as well as older favorites that probably few have heard of. Maybe a 10-map rotation which includes 5 newer maps in the ..::LvL listing and 5 oldies.

The reason for this is because the majority of Q3 servers, as many have pointed out, run stock maps all the time, and usually have Instagib or Excessive Plus enabled, with few servers catering to the vq3 crowd. Those that dont run stock maps usually just recycle ztn, hub, and the cpm / ThreeWave maps over and over.

It would be nice to see a server where you could actually have fun trying new and different things. It would also help support the mapping community as well. Im sure its discouraging that most new Q3 maps being released these days seldom, if at all, get played. I would definitely be up for some small FFAs on dONKEYs Steam Arena, or gauntlet-fests on sst13s Starforce. More people might get back to Q3 mapping knowing that theres a chance someone might play their creations against humans rather than just bots.

What does everyone else think?

(P.S. I realize that Maverick also has Q3 servers running custom maps, but it`s more of a "testing" server, the maps never change, and some are still in alpha or beta states)
Edited 3.23 minutes after the original posting.
Edited 5.1 minutes after the original posting.

Tig Rep. 2122
#2   15 Jul 2011
I would love to see id Software, PlanetQuake or someone else with a little bit of time and reason behind them do something like this. Personally, I would really enjoy it but I don't really have enough time or a free server to do it correctly.
themuffinator Rep. 1064
#3   19 Jul 2011
Any more updates Id Software would do to Q3 would have them running at a loss. Quake Live earns them money from advertisements and subscriptions, Q3 updates wouldn't benefit them at all.

I made a small mod a while back with some added functionality to the game. I added the basic coding for some gametypes (Clan Arena, Freeze Tag, Domination, Bombing Run), green armor, instagib mode, vampire mode, a bunch of extra cvars like item spawn control, author tags for map makers, QL-style loading screen, etc.. I never got very far with it, it's buggy and disfunctional as hell and it's dependant on Team Arena. I'll upload it if someone is interested, but I've moved onto a more interesting mod idea since then.

But yeah, Id Software will never in their right minds make another patch for Q3 - it'd be senseless from a business perspective to do so, especially considering that they've stretched their staff to the limit already.

On topic though: yeah this game could really do with some freash new servers spread around the world. If only someone had the resources to do that.
Edited 40 seconds after the original posting.

EmeraldTiger Rep. 2601
#4   22 Jul 2011
Hmm... Ive heard of a low-cost, high-quality server host called EscapedTurkey. Im not sure if it can be run on home connections though.

Is it possible to start a dedicated server though without spending money? If so I can put it up with a 10-map pool with a mix of recently released maps and obscure oldies.
Edited 51.07 minutes after the original posting.

Tig Rep. 2122
#5   22 Jul 2011
A (good) home connection like ADSL2 or cable is more than fine to run a home server for a few (say 4 to 8) players. Many 'new' games (on PC and consoles) will create a local server and have the other players connect to 'your' local server. There is no remote server with some games that all players connect to, just a 'master' that will track who is connected where.

Q3A will run headless (no monitor) on a small Linux/BSD box without a problem, then set-up your network correctly (port forwarding / NAT) and away you go - your own home server that anyone can connect to.

There should be a few 'how to set-up a Q3A Linux Server' guides on the web.

EmeraldTiger Rep. 2601
#6   23 Jul 2011
Alright, I started a dedicated CPMA (so you can vote gametypes, etc.) server with the following maps:

Ballistophobia - jstrq3dm2
Concrete`s Contentment - q3ccg
Quake 3 Steam Arena - dk_dk
Somewhat Damaged - vdamaged
Starforce - 13star
Blast Radius - dc_map23
Onslaught - on_xctf4
Degree of Power - thunda3dm2
Out on a Limb - tig_out
Full Moon (Team Edition) - ts_dm5tmp

Let me know if you can see it since it takes a little while to have it appear in the list. Thanks. :)

Tig Rep. 2122
#7   23 Jul 2011
What is the server name an IP / port?

Maybe make a new thread with a catchy title (like: Custom Map Server status and info) and I'll pin it.

EmeraldTiger Rep. 2601
#8   23 Jul 2011
Name: "Quake3Community Creations - New and Old" (green text)
Edited 2.85 minutes after the original posting.

IP: 192.168.1.4
Port: 27960
Edited 9.1 minutes after the original posting.

Tig Rep. 2122
#9   23 Jul 2011
IP: 192.168.1.4 is an internal (local only) IP - no one outside your network (that is beyond your modem) can see the server.

You will need to set up NAT / port forwarding on your modem / connection. This will depend on your modem and how your ISP connects you to the rest of the world - I will not be able to help you much at all as every modem and ISP is different.

For example, I have a 'real' IP through my ISP (which is a very good thing for setting up a server). My modem calls the option to allow an 'internal' server to see the 'outside' world - Virtual Server. From this menu option on the modem I can set-up all the ports that are required to be forward and allow all the returns as well.

EmeraldTiger Rep. 2601
#10   23 Jul 2011
Got it forwarded. Let`s see what happens next. :)
Edited 30.35 minutes after the original posting.
Tig Rep. 2122
#11   23 Jul 2011
Hehe. Now need the IP of your modem. You can get it from here (if you don't know): touch.whatsmyip.org/
EmeraldTiger Rep. 2601
#12   24 Jul 2011
Got the IP. When I type my IP though in "Server IP address" it says "IP must be a LAN IP address". I`m using a Netgear router. (It does work when I just use 192.168)

@Fist: Thanks. :)
Edited 1.07 hours after the original posting.

Tig Rep. 2122
#13   24 Jul 2011
If you are running both the Client and the Server on the same network then you will need to use the 'local' IP to connect to the Server (I think, its been a few years).

If you have set-up forwarding/NAT at your modem and started the Server with "+set dedicated 1", then 'outside' people should be able to connect as well. If you post your outside IP, I'll try to connect if you like.

Here are some good server guides. For or Windows try:
www.killersinc.com...rver-howto.html

And for Linux here:
sp1r1t.org/network...erver_howto.php

EmeraldTiger Rep. 2601
#14   24 Jul 2011
Is it okay to share an IP address? I haven`t got many results on google... eh well I know Wikipedia records IPs publicly so why not. :)

Tig Rep. 2122
#15   24 Jul 2011
All I'm getting is the 'Awaiting Challenge...' message. This happens if there is no map running or if the return packets are not sent (I think).
EmeraldTiger Rep. 2601
#16   24 Jul 2011
That`s odd... I have a 10-map rotation running so it should be running on one of them in the list I provided. Not sure about the return packets thing, could you describe what that issue is in more detail please? Thanks.
KommissarReb (SW12) Rep. 2430
#17   24 Jul 2011
It would be cool to see maps like Hogwarts, Dangercity, Nu Clear Lunch time, and Gormenghast appear on a custom server. They are some of my most favorite maps.

In fact-I actually remember playing Nu Clear Lunch Time (ReqKitchen) On a server with people once. It was sorta fun.

EmeraldTiger Rep. 2601
#18   24 Jul 2011
I might consider adding those at some point in the feature. I checked out ReqKitchen abouth a few months ago and thought it was very well-made, think it would be quite fun. :)

@FistMarine: Reason I use CPMA for starting the server is for added customization. People can vote gametypes or rulesets, (the former of which allows me to string DM and CTF maps in one list without having to start two separate servers) and things like brightskins make it easier to see other players. But I agree that there are some things that I really dislike about CPMA, such as the community being very elitist and rude. Not to mention many CPM mappers don`t even bother trying to adjust their maps for vq3, forcing you to play it in the mod if you want a quality game.

Tig Rep. 2122
#19   24 Jul 2011
Basically, I'm stuck at the screen when you first try to connect to a server - I never get beyond that part. This points to either the 'packets' (information sent from the server [you] to the client [me]) just never make it back to me. Or, my connection is not set-up correctly.

As I can connect to any other server, the problem appears to be at your end. However, my connect to you could be producing a large latency as well, this could produce the issue as well (maybe), but I would have assumed I would still connect, just have been laggy.

You would need to try and get someone close to you to connect.

EmeraldTiger Rep. 2601
#20   25 Jul 2011
That would be tricky. I don`t think I know of anyone in my area who has Q3A installed that I could ask to connect.
Group 1 of 2

Only registered members can post a reply.
Already registered? Sign in.

geit3ctf1
Clear