Can Someone create a n00bs guide to install ioquake on LTS Ubuntu - & possibly snap package ?
Started by beadyOne
beadyOne Rep. 0
#1   16 Jan 2018
Beavens - I'd like an answer to this one.

Looking for a fail-proof way to get ioquake game up and running using possibly a Ubuntu snap package so that I can enjoy the basic FPS game.

Basically my route here was:

1, github.com/leereilly/games
2, github.com/ioquake/ioq3
3, github.com/ioquake
4, www.ioquake.org/
5, wiki.ioquake3.org/Main_Page
6, wiki.ioquake3.org/Players_Guide
7, wiki.ioquake3.org/Players_Guide
8, endless scolling to bottom of page - with unreadable to a n00b info.
9, lvlworld.com/
10, lvlworld.com/forum
11, register for this one post with me gmail.
12, Ta-da.

As you can tell - at the moment; this IS rocket-science to me & I'd like some way to de-mystify with you fella's as to a way to get this gem up and running.

At the moment I am, running 17.10 Aardvark ubuntu (Xubuntu under MATE desktop DE), but there shall come a time when I shall change to stock 18.04 Bionic Beaver with stock desktop Ubuntu.
To put it bluntly - I require assistance to do this ? Yes I do, pal.

If you find a way to make a snap like the one below (let me know) :

forum.snapcraft.io...e-of-agony/3105

thank-you and happy hacking.

CZghost Rep. 1681
#2   16 Jan 2018
Well, I might route you over at quake3world.com, there ain't better support forum like that. I'm surprised nobody mention that or Google didn't spit out in results. Though this forum can supply pretty good help, give it a try at q3w, you'll get far better, since it is a home of programmers, who do have Linux expreriences...
Tig Rep. 1662
#3   16 Jan 2018
Yep, I've done a step by step for installing and running the 64bit version of ioquake3 under Linux Mint. It is a little old now but should still work. You can read it all here: tiggeron.blogspot....ot-support.html

And there is a ..::LvL Forum post here: lvlworld.com/threa...64bit%20version

Chomenor Rep. 0
#4   18 Jan 2018
I think the general steps are as follows:
  1. Download the Linux test build zip from ioquake3.org/get-it/test-builds/ and unzip it somewhere
  2. Make sure you have the SDL2 package, using a command like: sudo apt-get install libsdl2-2.0-0
  3. Make a directory named baseq3 alongside the test build executable, containing pak0-pak8.pk3. Pak0.pk3 is from the Quake 3 CD and the other paks can be downloaded from ioquake3.org/extras/patch-data/
I can't guarantee this is all that will be required, but it might work or at least get your started.
CZghost Rep. 1681
#5   20 Jan 2018
@Chromenor: more than libsdl2-2.0-0 package (and its i386 version) is required. Run the ioquake3 executable (which still has some links to original quake3 executable) and see which libraries are still missing. Then use dpkg -S missing_lib.so to search for required package. Always make sure to install both recent 64bit and 32bit versions if running 64bit Linux (install 32bit libraries by adding :i386 suffix to the package name)

Only registered members can post a reply.
Already registered? Sign in.

rpg3dm2
Clear