Trying to grasp weapon/item placement balance
Started by Neon_Knight
Neon_Knight Rep. 324
#1   18 Sep 2017
Just what the title says. I really wish I had learnt this a long time ago.
So, taking the entire Q3TA arsenal and item stack (which is also OpenArena's default arsenal/itemry), I was thinking if this could be the recommended placement in maps:
  • Low tier weapons and items: Near spawnpoints.
  • Mid tier weapons and items: In between low and high tier (possibly corridors or safe areas far from spawnpoints).
  • High tier weapons and items: Contested areas.
  • Superweapons and superitems: Places with hazards (slime/lava pools, death pits, void).
What could be considered low/mid/high/supertier:
  • Low tier: Shotgun, Grenade Launcher, +5, Armor Shard
  • Mid tier: Rocket Launcher, Plasma Gun, +25, Combat Armor
  • High tier: Railgun, Lightning Gun, Nailgun (in Rune maps), Chaingun (in Rune maps), +50, Body Armor, Medkit, Teleporter, Invulnerability, Regeneration, Battle Suit, 30-sec Flight, Haste.
  • Super tier: BFG, Prox Launcher, Nailgun (in non-Rune maps), Chaingun (in non-Rune maps), Megahealth, Kamikaze, Quad Damage, Invisibility, 60-sec Flight.
  • Runes: Either you give one of each to both teams (Q3TA style) or put them in the middle and make players fight for them (pseudo-Q2 style).
I know it depends on the type of map, but my question is, is this the right reasoning or are there corrections that must be made?
Tig Rep. 1662
#2   19 Sep 2017
You might want to also have a look at this too: www.quake3world.co...m/viewtopic.php
Neon_Knight Rep. 324
#3   20 Sep 2017
Thanks for that link! It's very useful.

Only registered members can post a reply.
Already registered? Sign in.

q3basex
Clear