Func_Trains?
Started by PaN61
PaN61 Rep. 385
#1   20 Apr 2011
I was further producing my first map today when I saw a unusual sign with a func_train in my map. I have the func_train set with an origin brush connected with 3 path_corners to make it travel in a forward and back motion from one platform to a second platform (My map is a space map). Whenever I ride it, it begins to lag when I look in a particular direction.

The func_train has two guard-rails on the side of it and has two exits. Whenever I look into the direction of the guard-rails and the floor of the func_train, it moves fluently form one platform to the second, but if I look at the direction to either one of the exits the func_train begins to lag repetitively without stopping. The func-train doesn't lag when it reaches the platforms but it does lag when I ride it.

Is this a normal thing that it does or is there something that I forgot to do like set an option to it in GTK Radiant 1.5.0?
Any help is appreciated greatly.

PaN61

themuffinator Rep. 1044
#2   22 Apr 2011
I've also had that issue and it's most probably that the idTech 3 engine just can't handle player movement too well when being affected by moving geometry. id Tech 4 and it's decent physics engine would do the job a lot better.
PaN61 Rep. 385
#3   22 Apr 2011
Since the id Tech 3 engine can't handle this player movement by moving geometry, I had a look at q3tourney6 and that platform on the side of the level that moves from base to base is perfectly smooth without any lag whatsoever when riding it. So how did ID Software get that platform to be like that if supposedly the id Tech 3 engine can't handle it?

Also, there was no .map file for q3tourney6 so I couldn't find the solution to how the platform doesn't lag when riding it.

PaN61

Tig Rep. 1652
#4   22 Apr 2011
You can decompile the BSP (with bspc.exe) and get an idea how id Software did it. Alternatively, you can open the BSP file in a text edit (like notepad) and do a search for 'worldspawn' or 'func_train'. That will jump you to the text in the compiled map and you should be able to get a bit of an idea of how they linked it all together.

It has been years since I've done Q3A editing and I've never had a need to use a func_train in a map which is why I never answered, but when I know I've seen someone else do something I always use one of the above methods.

PaN61 Rep. 385
#5   22 Apr 2011
I will check it out, thanks for the reply :)

PaN61

PaN61 Rep. 385
#6   25 Dec 2011
Hello everyone. After the long hiatus away from Quake 3 Arena, I came back from Tremulous to start my mapping again. To my surprise, when I last laid my hands on my map, the func_train was being all laggy in its forward and back movement when you look in a certain direction from it. Now that I have returned and started mapping again this week, I noticed that my func_train doesn't lag anymore (I haven't even changed any of the settings for it).

I'm thinking that this is a good thing but just out of curiosity, does anyone have any clue in why it is the way now compared to the last time?
Edited 16.1 hours after the original posting.

Only registered members can post a reply.
Already registered? Sign in.

twogods
Clear