Firefox "Open Search" support
Started by Tig
Tig Rep. 1662
#1   11 Mar 2015
If you are a Firefox user, you can now add ..::LvL as a "search engine" option.

From any page on ..::LvL you should now get a little + sign icon in the Firefox search box. This can be used to add ..::LvL as a search engine.

Once added, you can then search for a map or author on ..::LvL from anywhere - just select ..::LvL icon on the drop down when you have typed your search string.

There is a very good chance this will work with IE as well, but is not tested at all.

CZghost Rep. 1681
#2   15 Mar 2015
Internet Explorer uses different addon format, I tried to add the search addon, but it redirects me to addons store. Is there any chance you can add the search field to addon list of Microsoft? I am user of IE 11 (for the speed reason) and it would be awesome to use search field for maps look up :)
Tig Rep. 1662
#3   16 Mar 2015
Auto detection of Open Search was removed in IE11. You have to manually add it by clicking on a small piece of JavaScript (thanks Microsoft).

So, this is now fixed. Go here - lvlworld.com/search - and click on the link at the bottom of the page (only appears for IE browsers). Then when you are typing you can select the ..::LvL icon and end up on ..::LvL with your search results.

In the future I might add dynamic search results (as you type) but I need to look into just how exactly it works.

Blood Rep. 334
#4   18 Mar 2015
www.foxnews.com/te...ernet-explorer/

Firefox might be in your future CZghost.

CZghost Rep. 1681
#5   21 Mar 2015
That's because of prejudices. Almost everybody has prejudices against IE: my classmates, contemporaries and even my sister. I'm sure they do not want to at least try out the last version IE 11 that's faster than other browsers (at least for me). There is problem only with security, but if you know what to avoid on the internet, the risk of infecting the computer is low. No matter what browser do you use, it's as safe as its user. Anyway, Big Brother is everywhere, watching all of us no matter, what browser or OS do you use ;)
leilei Rep. 413
#6   21 Mar 2015
If it were only simple "prejudices".....

Some of our disdain for IE goes back to when they were trying to integrate it with Windows as an excuse to include it (IE4, Win98) effectively killing off Netscape.

And you shouldn't have to know 'what to avoid' and make browsing a game of risk, if you use a few good extensions to deal with that
noscript.net/
www.requestpolicy.com/
addons.mozilla.org...n/adblock-edge/
www.ghostery.com/

Even if you trust the sites you browse, you'll never know when some driveby injection worm hits them some day leading you into XSS malware hell.

Edited 4.72 minutes after the original posting.

Blood Rep. 334
#7   22 Mar 2015
I've been using Firefox for a while now and find it to be basically as fast as IE. If its slower, its some inperceptible speed.
I didnt post the link to say 'ha ha your browser isnt being supported anymore', just thought maybe you'd want to read it.

And at the end of the day your right CZghost, there is no escape if they really want to get at you. Hackers, government agencies (both known to public and unknown) will glide easily through most resistance. www.pcworld.com/ar...wn-contest.html
And here's something you might find attractive CZ www.pcworld.com/ar...web-gaming.html

Edited 8.67 minutes after the original posting.

Tig Rep. 1662
#8   22 Mar 2015
Basically, IE is dying a slow death and has been since Microsoft refused to implement w3 standards (in IE6 mainly). Microsoft has corrected most of this since IE9, but still has major issues. But don't let me preach, just look at the stats:

gs.statcounter.com/
en.wikipedia.org/w...of_web_browsers (the NetApplications stats can be ignored because of the stupid way they count browsers)

The graph here - en.wikipedia.org/w...of_web_browsers - shows the history best.

Only registered members can post a reply.
Already registered? Sign in.

map-13dream
Clear