Android app
Started by CZghost
CZghost Rep. 1681
#1   23 Oct 2014
Do you wanna make an app LvL for Android? App that will make easier browsing this site. Like Facebook, just only different server to take data and different look. Mobile users will like it.
Tig Rep. 1682
#2   23 Oct 2014
I have in fact started work on an Android App - with some features. I was not going to say anything until I had something to show :]

FragTastic got me thinking about it all early this year and I only recently looked into just "what" I could do with an App. I still need to do a bit of research, but I think I can make something worth while.

For now, if you enable "Unknown Sources" you can download and use a very basic app I made from here: lvlworld.com/lvl/L..._beta_0.0.1.apk

There are instructions on enabling "Unknown Sources" Apps here: www.android.pk/blo...android-phones/ and if that don't work, try Google here: www.google.com/search

What device do you have btw?

CZghost Rep. 1681
#3   24 Oct 2014
Huawei Ascend Y530. I do not enable unkonwn sources due to the security, maybe I will enable it temporarily to download the app :)
CZghost Rep. 1681
#4   24 Oct 2014
Posting from your app :)
CZghost Rep. 1681
#5   24 Oct 2014
BTW - to improve your app - Taking screenshots in their full resolution or to fit the resolution of the retina display and copy the style of the website to make complex app. Yes it will take more space in the memory, but it won't have to load all the site web assets, but only data (screenshots, panoramas, videos and texts) :) You made additional web browser, like Seznam. The shots look jiggly on retina displays and it looks terrible. The same is for panoramas. Video is okay.
Tig Rep. 1682
#6   24 Oct 2014
Any chance you can seen me a screen shot of the "jiggly" affect? I'm testing on a Samsung Galaxy Note II which has a high density screen and everything looks fine here. I'm also not seeing any issues with a Nexus 7, Galaxy S3 or even a low end, small screen LG phone.
CZghost Rep. 1681
#7   25 Oct 2014
It is caused by viewport settings that sets a resolution to be alike normal monitor dpi (about 72 dpi) while retina display has a lot higher dpi resolution. This causes that pixel is viewed bigger that it actualy is, which makes ugly blured image. Facebook views photos nicely clean and sharp fitting the retina resolution. It think that 3x bigger thumbnails scaled down by HTML will make better on retina :)
Tig Rep. 1682
#8   26 Oct 2014
I would still like to see a screen shot because I'm not seeing the issues you are on any of my test devices. If possible, I would really love to see one of a "nicely clean and sharp" Facebook picture too. Just blank out anything personal or email them to me.

Two of my test devices have ~306ppi and ~267ppi displays, which are "high density" displays. Retina display is an Apple term and is used for Apple products with a 220ppi display or higher. My guess is "Retina display" sounds better than "high density display" or "220ppi" or "220 pixels per inch" to Apple people. :]

CZghost Rep. 1681
#9   26 Oct 2014
dl.dropboxusercont..._images_lvl.png
This is screenshot of LvL app. Notice jaggled edges in the blured images. That's not much nice to see... I have retina pixel quarter of the original one resulting the image being scaled up by double factor.

dl.dropboxusercont..._images_fcb.png
This is Facebook screenshot. Notice nice clean edges in the Bean's image. This is how Facebook views photos for a price of bigger app.

Tig Rep. 1682
#10   26 Oct 2014
Ahh cool, I know what you mean now. I'll do some test and see what I come up with.
CZghost Rep. 1681
#11   27 Oct 2014
Tig Rep. 1682
#12   12 Nov 2014
High quality images for "thumbnails" have been uploaded. The other images on the site might take a little more work, but I'm looking at it for sure.

NOTE: You will only see the better quality images on high density screen with browsers that support the "srcset" tag. For a list, check out: caniuse.com/

CZghost Rep. 1681
#13   14 Nov 2014
If it should already work, my cache is not up yet then or it simply does't work for me. Still default viewport issue. Which browser did you make the LvL app from?
Tig Rep. 1682
#14   14 Nov 2014
The HTML5 img tag attribute "srcset" is not support by all browsers yet - check: caniuse.com/ for a list.

The basic ..::LvL app is using "WebView", which uses the "Android Browser" HTML render, not Chrome or the Chrome render. This will change in the near future, but it is a limitation of WebView within "Android".

I'm thinking of options and one option is to change the app so that it will always request the higher quality graphics no matter what. Then the issue of bandwidth usage comes up, both for the site viewer and for the site.

This then lead me to think, why not give the viewer the choice to "select" high quality images as well as using the "srcset" attribute. The high quality graphics do look better even on desktop displays.

So, I'm now at the point of trying to work out the best way to implement it all - and I'm still trying to work out how to add the high def graphics to the other features.

Sadly I don't think all graphics will be able to be supported, but where possible, I'll add the better images.

CZghost Rep. 1681
#15   27 Nov 2014
The individual view of screenshots is amazing and the preview at review is also great :)
Tig Rep. 1682
#16   27 Nov 2014
Sadly I only have hi-res screenshots for the maps from January this year onwards. Previously I did not keep the original shots.

The panoramas will not be hi-def either because I simply don't take 120 screenshots at 1600x1200. This may change, but I'll need to do some testing first. The panorama preview is still not done, but will be after the next update.

Only registered members can post a reply.
Already registered? Sign in.

vq3dm7ctf
Clear