Video makes Internet Explorer 11 tab stuck on
Started by CZghost
CZghost Rep. 1681
#1   01 Aug 2014
I wanted to play a video of Zigurrat Tomb (13tomb) and Battlezone (April's Fool map by Tig). These videos cause the tab in which the video is opened and played suddenly gets frozen, which can be noticed by moving mouse over links - the arrow won't change to hand. I noticed that only at these two maps, but I'm not sure if it isn't also somewhere else. Considering it as a bug. Also others, place here feedback, which videos cause you that bug. Maybe next bug to be resolved, following the voting bug :D
CZghost Rep. 1681
#2   02 Aug 2014
Tig, looks like your sites become pretty buggy here. Voting system was broken and after repair the video bug appeared. No offense, but it's not so much good for visitors. Also, looks like there is not much effort for posting maps here, mapping just gets bored these days. What a shame :(
Tig Rep. 1662
#3   02 Aug 2014
Video for "Battlezone", "House Of The Rising Sun (2)" and "Zigurrat Tomb" all work for me without any issues with version 11.0.9600.17207 of Internet Explorer on Windows 7. I can Pause, switch tabs and the video starts before the entire file has downloaded. This appears to an issue at your end. Please include full version number and OS.

I did notice that having two or more tabs open, with videos in all tabs, does cause some minor issues - but you will need to report that to Microsoft as that is a browser issue, not a site issue.

The voting issue was due to a code change AND because there are currently two version of the ..::LvL code - so the code was out of sync. This is because I'm working on some tweaks for very small screens - it is taking way too long.

CZghost Rep. 1681
#4   02 Aug 2014
IE version: 11.0.9600.17207
Update ver: 11.0.10 (KB2962872)
ID number: 00150-20000-00003-AA459
OS hosted: Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1

Any ideas?

CZghost Rep. 1681
#5   02 Aug 2014
Well, video doesn't work now at all, it seems. And I have only one tab with LvL opened. It might cause Facebook opened, which has tons of scripts running in the background and this pretty slows down the computer. I'm waiting for a chat reply, but it seems it won't arrive today. So I can log out on Facebook, I think.
CZghost Rep. 1681
#6   02 Aug 2014
It's not web-browser related, it's CPU power related. My machine is just too slow for watching videos in browser. I will get new CPU next week.
Tig Rep. 1662
#7   03 Aug 2014
I can only suggest you try Firefox, Chrome or even Safari before you get a new CPU.
CZghost Rep. 1681
#8   03 Aug 2014
No, Internet Explorer is much faster that other browsers now, just a bit more buggy. I tried Chrome and Opera on my machine, it was a torture!
Tig Rep. 1662
#9   03 Aug 2014
How much RAM you got? It is possible that is your issue, not CPU. I noticed you said Windows 7 (32 bit). This means you have only 3GB or less (more than 3GB of RAM is ignore in 32bit OS). If you are running Windows 7 you really should have 4 to 8GB of RAM and should be using the 64 bit version.

If you have less than 3GB, buy some RAM.

Firefox should be lighter on memory than the others, but IE is lighter again. Memory is also a lot cheaper than a CPU.

You could also try a Linux LIVE CD from any of the Linux distros.

CZghost Rep. 1681
#10   03 Aug 2014
I have 32bit CPU, which does not allow to run 64bit version of Windows. Yes, I have 3GB of RAM. However I need to buy new CPU from another reason: Windows are getting choppy and slowed down when I need to change attributes or permissions, or just need to delete files. If I change attributes or permissions of a folder with more than hundred files, it gets stuck on on a very end and never goes up. If I shake the window, it will suddenly close as it may be done, but changes didn't apply. I need to change attribute of read-only mode to disabled and need to allow permission for regular users for Quake 3 and Radiant, which is extremely vulnerable with old Pentium 4 that goes shitty. Dual-core, which I want to buy, might support 64bit version of Windows, however we gave computer to reinstall for one guy and he has installed us Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit. If we had 64bit CPU, he would increase RAM to 8 GB anyway and install 6ยด4bit Windows. I'm not sure if our motherboard will ever support 64bit Windows, it might depend on CPU, but also on Chipset, it's the one that 64bit Windows won't support. Anyway, this might mean we need to reinstall whole Windows to 64bit version after CPU change, if it might for some unknown reason support the increased bit version. I'm sorry, but I should anyway buy new CPU as this one gets slowly in the Si Heaven (Who watches Red Dwarf, will undestand) :)
CZghost Rep. 1681
#11   05 Aug 2014
Well, I have new CPU, but need to get also heat-transfer paste as I got only the proccessor, the acessories (paste and fan) are not included. I have no idea how it does cost :D Anyway, it will be less than 50 CZK (about $2.50)...
CZghost Rep. 1681
#12   06 Aug 2014
Running now with new CPU, but it really has to do something with RAM. I will not increase it, just take on mind that some videos won't work on desktop.
Tig Rep. 1662
#13   06 Aug 2014
Grab a Linux Live CD (no install needed, just a reboot) and try that. Personally I would try Linux Mint or Xubuntu, but all have advantages and disadvantages.

My Mums old netbook only has 2GB of RAM and runs Xubuntu just fine.

CZghost Rep. 1681
#14   06 Aug 2014
Thanks for your tip, will think on that. Anyway, video is not necessary and if I want to see a video that doesn't work on desktop, I will check it out on my laptop later (I have Windows Vista installed there, but it is equally powerful as my desktop). BTW, now I am running on new CPU that I bought last Monday, Intel Core 2 Duo in my desktop with nVidia GeForce GT 9800 video card installed inside and Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit SP1 on maximum RAM memory 3 GB. For my taste, it is more than powerful :)
leilei Rep. 413
#15   07 Aug 2014
You're better off building a whole new computer setup to be honest if you wish to compensate for slow browsers. Browsers are very slow with either Flash or HTML5 video and there doesn't seem to be any serious effort to fixing that up, except Javascript performance just so they can market on the slight JS increase.

I watch twitch streams on a single-core <1ghz by using an app that redirects flash-embedded streaming video to media player classic, and the performance difference is unbelievably huge.

Edited 4.77 minutes after the original posting.

KommissarReb (SW12) Rep. 2362
#16   07 Aug 2014
Yeah, if you have Shockwave Flash on your browser, it can really bog down your computer even if you aren't watching anything. Some places on the internet (Wikia for example) have lots of ads that use Flash and just having Flash turned off when not in use is good whenever you go on your browser.

Also CZghost, you said you had Windows Vista installed? How do you live with that? The only reason I can think of for having Vista is playing Halo 2 on my computer.

CZghost Rep. 1681
#17   07 Aug 2014
Well, it's pretty shitty, but it still works. When it become unusable, I will turn to Linux on my laptop since Linux is safer than Windows and you usualy do not have to own a copy of antivirus software.

Only registered members can post a reply.
Already registered? Sign in.

dk_dig
Clear