Quake 3 server
Started by Blood
Blood Rep. 334
#1   20 May 2014
Hey guys, my brother is trying to set up a quake 3 server but is having issues getting it to show under the 'multiplayer-internet' setting in game. Anyone know how to get it to register? I can see it and connect through local option but so far no luck seeing it under internet option

The idea behind the server is to have a place where people can try out not only my two maps that i've made, but also he would toss up 2 or 3 maps for a month or so from other mappers. No base maps at all, not trying to attract a community, and the idea isnt to have a place to play quake 3 with lots of custom maps, but rather just to test out a small range of maps that rotates every now and then.

Tig Rep. 1672
#2   21 May 2014
At a guess, you need to open and/or forward the Q3A port on your router / modem. How you go about this will depend on what set-up you have.

Basically, traffic from the Internet needs to get to the Q3A server. On a LAN this is simple as everyone has the same IP base and there are no ISPs and modems between. Often the only real issue is a local firewall or security software.

Once a modem is included in the mix, things get complicated. For the Q3A server to be "seen" it needs a public IP. This means your modem needs to be able to be "seen" from the internet. If your modems public IP starts with "10." or "192.168." then you are going to have big issues. If it starts with something else you need to read the manual on port forwarding or NAT (or something else non-standard). You will also need to assign a fixed IP on the Q3A server PC, so when you restart that PC, the IP that you are forwarding traffic to will reach the correct PC.

Good luck! This is not something straight forward, but can be rewarding if you get it to work.

Blood Rep. 334
#3   21 May 2014
Alright thanks Tig I'll have him check out your reply.
We'll hack away at the technical issues and hopefully turn it into a summer hobby/project. Cash for running it long term over a series of months is also a temporary issue for now, i just wanted to at least get things started.
It would be nice to have a chance to play against people instead of bots from time to time.
I know a few peeps that want to fire up q3 for occasional play, but none of them wants to think about setting up a server lol.

Only registered members can post a reply.
Already registered? Sign in.

catcath
Clear