I have always wanted to play that map, but it freezes and locks up my computer, and I never get to see it. I am DYING to play it from all I read about it. lvlworld.com/comments/Botulism
It requires Quake 3 version 1.17 and I have upgraded my game from 1.30 to 1.32c. I tried downgrading but when I load the game it crashes. After this I reverted back to using 1.32c.
Would anybody knowledgeable please shed light on the situation?
If you know the C programming language well, you would be able add somewhere the code for nohumans key in spawnpoints (don't know anyway where)... Compile VMs and place it in pak9.pk3 or something like that.
Or try downgrading to earlier version than 1.17 (maybe aftr releasing THIS version has the lockup appeared). Such as 1.16 or earlier... This would be recommended for all users...
@Tig: Well I was running it through a mod I'm developing, but after a bit of testing it proved to also crash if I ran the old Q3A/Q3TA VM's through the exe. It turns out what made the map work is the ioquake3 VM's. If I recall the ioquake3's binary installer download comes with dll's instead.
Since VM's are the way to go I had compiled the exe together with the VM's some time back - www.mediafire.com/?...a6a26qbcu2
. Obviously extract to your Quake 3 directory and run with +set fs_game ioquake3.
I just read themuffinator's comment here, as well as every other comment on the map to see if anybody figured out a solution. My only question is whether or not its necessary to type +set fs_game ioquake3
, or if I can just load it up in the mod menu.Edited 1.9 minutes after the original posting.
07 Apr 2013, 18:38 AEST
This is how you run the Botulism map:
1) Download the Quake 3 Arena 1.17 Patch from almost anywhere. Here is a link: www.google.com/sear...+patch
2) Run the patch BUT
change the install path to something like "C:\Q3A_1.17"
3) Copy your current full game version of "baseq3\pak0.pk3" to the new (1.17) "baseq3" folder. You should now have the following files in the "C:\Q3A_1.17\baseq3" folder;
- pak0.pk3, pak1.pk3, pak2.pk3, pak3.pk3
4) Place a copy of "botulism.pk3" into the baseq3 folder with the pak*.pk3 files and start Q3A version 1.17 by clicking on the C:\Q3A_1.17\quake3 file.Notes:
You need to start the game as a Team DM with all the bots on one team and only you on the other team.
If you also copy your q3config.cfg file your settings should be the same except for anything related to newer version of Q3A.
You will require your Q3 CD unless you download a certain file from here: www.planetquake3.ne...tools.html
- which I wont mention the name of, but I am happy to link to due to the age and uselessness of the file beyond running a very out dated version of Q3A.