..::LvL Re-design - All but LIVE
Started by Tig
Tig Rep. 1682
#1   23 Jan 2013
Just uploaded the new forum code and a heap of little tweaks.

The new site is done unless there are bugs or issues that pop up. If you are reading this, please use the new site - lvlworld.com/ - for everything now and report any issues or problems.

One question I do have, do people want me to keep the old site up for some reason? I see no reason to do this (keep the old site that is). I prefer the new site so much I just want to hit delete on the old one :]

There are a few little things left to do, like make sure old links are redirecting to the new code and some optimisations, but that is all that is left to do now.

CZghost Rep. 1681
#2   24 Jan 2013
You can archieve old site to your disc unless you're much happy with the new site the old one is enough to delete :)
KommissarReb (SW12) Rep. 2372
#3   24 Jan 2013
I can get used to the new layout, not easily though. The only real gripe have about the new site is the text being hard to read.
Tig Rep. 1682
#4   24 Jan 2013
@Rebmarine (SW12): Is the font too small or too tight? Personally I have no issues with it so I need to hear some more details as to what the problem is.

What happens when you press CTRL & + (or CTRL & =) to increase the zoom level. Does that help? Press CTRL & - to go back down.

What issues are you having with the layout? It may be something that can be fixed. Is it because you are familiar with the old design and the new design does things a little different or is it more complex than that? Is some feature missing that you used all the time?

#5   24 Jan 2013
@Tig: IMHO, I like the old layout better. The zoom does help a lot, because the type looks shaded in areas from white to gray fading when zoomed out.
CZghost Rep. 1681
#6   25 Jan 2013
For my taste, the new one is perfect. Submit forms are separated now and the website now use pure HTML, with some javascript species :) No problem to run websites in browser without javascript enabled.
Voting is more likely stars than the old one. The five excellent flags are perfectly compared to website topic and perfectly works as star voting. It's no problem to give 2 and half excellents :)) If you imagine it as the ten flags in the old one, it's compared to 5/10 but with the new voting I would say 2.5/5 (stars) as I think the old one could be replaced with this new styled.

If I was the judger, I would say yes, replace it with the new one. If there are some minor issues, they can be reduced later ;)

Tig Rep. 1682
#7   25 Jan 2013
@Rebmarine (SW12): Any chance you could send me a screen shot? I just want to make sure the site is rendering correctly for you.
#8   25 Jan 2013
I don't know how to do that. Also I don't have a drop-box or a facsimile of that to upload it
Tig Rep. 1682
#9   26 Jan 2013
Oh, well. That makes things a little harder :]

(This assumes you are using Windows)

• Press the "Win" key & R
  • Type in "mspaint" and hit OK
  • Select the browser window and press Alt & "Print Scr" key
  • Select the MSPaint window and press CTRL & V
  • Save the image as a JPEG and send it to me in an email
For the email address used (l v l "email sign" lvlw0rld c 0 m) - just fix the obvious errors.

If that does not work, let me know how far you got.

#10   26 Jan 2013
I got it working. Also this knowledge will be very useful in the future.
CZghost Rep. 1681
#11   27 Jan 2013
@Rebmarine: I use Ashampoo Snap 3 and I'm pretty happy with that utility as it can pretty easily snap only one window or just user defined area on screen as easily as the whole screen with the Main Bar visible or whole pages as better as in text editor and web browser...
I have that utility installed from my CHIP DVD as the reader's bonus, so I can't tell you the price. Maybe it's free, maybe you have to register for free or you have to buy full licence for some small fee...
Tig Rep. 1682
#12   27 Jan 2013
@Redmarine: OK, seen the screenshot and there are two issues, both at your end :[

First up, you have a LCD/LED monitor and it is not set to the correct screen size. You need to find out what the "native res" or the "max res" of the monitor is and then set your display to that in Windows. If you need help working this out, post your monitor make and model number and I'll tell you what screen size you should be using. This will fix the text on ..::LvL and on everything else as well.

Second, you have something installed that is messing with websites. For example, "Database" and "Last" on the home page are NOT links, but in the screen shot you sent they are. It is possible you have some kind of malware installed because I can not think what else would do that. Highly suggest you check out Microsoft Security Essentials if you do not have it installed already. If you know what is adding those extra links, that is fine, but (this is only a guess) I don't think it is something you really want on your PC.

FragTastic Rep. 2353
#13   28 Jan 2013
Loving the new website Tig!. Excellent work ;D
gooball Rep. 1091
#14   29 Jan 2013
Looks nice Tig, you've done it again!
themuffinator Rep. 1044
#15   01 Feb 2013
Good work Tig! All the effort you've put in after all these years we owe a massive debt of gratitude for. I doubt the Q3 scene wouldn't have survived as long as it has without this site going.
Incognito Rep. 156
#16   01 Feb 2013
Very good job Tig... i like the panorama view of maps.
We just need some reviews in...starting to pile up...:)
Again, good job.

Only registered members can post a reply.
Already registered? Sign in.

pjw3dm4
Clear