Quake 3 server on a router?
Started by Vihar
Vihar Rep. 80
#1   31 Jul 2015
Hi Community!

I was wondering if that is possible to run a Q3 server on my TP-Link 1034ND v2.1? It currently runs openwrt.

Tig Rep. 1622
#2   01 Aug 2015
You should be able to, but you will need to use NAT, Virtual Server or Port forwarding rules to allow people to connect. Not sure about openwrt, never used it.
Vihar Rep. 80
#3   30 Aug 2015
Finally I managed to start this but it failed instantly :D

root@sto:/pendrive# chmod +x linuxq3apoint-1.32b-3.x86.run
root@sto:/pendrive# ./linuxq3apoint-1.32b-3.x86.run
./linuxq3apoint-1.32b-3.x86.run: line 281: tty: not found
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing Quake III Arena Point Release 1.32b.....................Extraction failed.
...................................................................Signal caught, cleaning up

So I installed tty:

root@sto:/pendrive# opkg install coreutils-tty
Installing coreutils-tty (8.16-1) to root...
Downloading downloads.openwrt....16-1_ar71xx.ipk.
Installing coreutils (8.16-1) to root...
Downloading downloads.openwrt....16-1_ar71xx.ipk.
Configuring coreutils.
Configuring coreutils-tty.
root@sto:/pendrive# ./linuxq3apoint-1.32b-3.x86.run
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing Quake III Arena Point Release 1.32b........................................................................................Extraction failed.
Signal caught, cleaning up

Anyone has ideas?

Tig Rep. 1622
#4   30 Aug 2015
I had no issues here with the Q3A Point Release with Linux Mint 17.1 (64bit). I use ioquake3 as the engine, but you are not even getting that far.

Does ":/pendrive#" mean you are using a portable version of Linux on a USB stick (or similar)? If so, try extracting on a Desktop, then simply copy the files once extracted.

Vihar Rep. 80
#5   31 Aug 2015
I had no problem on installing it on a general Linux like Ubuntu x86/x64 but now we are talking about a router. I suspect that the router has ar71xx tech instead of x86, that is why it fails.
It would be nice to run a server on a router as it is always powered on and has very low power consumption.

pendrive is just a mount point of a USB storage,, on which the install file is located.

Edited 40.25 minutes after the original posting.

Tig Rep. 1622
#6   31 Aug 2015
Sorry, I know you said "on a router", but for some crazy reason I read it as "on a PC behind a home router connected to my ISP" - very different I know, but that is what I did :]

Yes, the architecture for the router would be an issue for sure, next issue would be that most routers do not have many resources left over. The hardware is built for the job and that is (often) all there is on the box.

You might be able to compile a custom Q3A server version for your hardware, but I really think the hardware will be a bottleneck.

Good luck however if you continue! Sounds a lot more interesting than my original reading :]

Vihar Rep. 80
#7   31 Aug 2015
If compiling for MIPS is possible, how is it possible?
Vihar Rep. 80
#8   07 Nov 2015
With the release of QL dedicated server, this is no longer needed - thanks for the replies.

Only registered members can post a reply.
Already registered? Sign in.

anodm2
Clear