Map I'm making: The Death Strip
KommissarReb (SW12) Rep. 2332
#1   15 Nov 2018
So here's a map that I've been making for about a month that incorporates ideas I had for years on a map design I've had in my head.www.dropbox.com/s/...905eoe/KRDS.zip Should I add anything?
Martinus Rep. 592
#2   16 Nov 2018
I like the atmospheric and creative design. For your first finished map, it is very nice! Everyone started somewhere like that at the beginning. Don't worry about it. :)
The inside base areas are a bit narrow for me.
Shooters, and fences makes the map challenging, which is not a bad thing in my opinion.
Bots sometimes have hard time to navigate through the trenches, and often stuck on the sides of them, and in the trench end bunkers.

You can make the target_print entities shows the message to a specific team, by combining them with target_relay entities (you can set red_only or blue_only).

It is a very good first map in my opinion. +1 because it is a CTF map. :)
I encourage you, to keep up the good work in the future.

#3   16 Nov 2018
Thanks for the kind words Martinus! I didn't know about target_relay entities, but I do remember setting the target_print entities to red_only and blue_only so that a player on the opposite team would get a different message if they entered the opposing base's BFG area. For some reason, a red player entering the blue desertion zone would get a "deserters will be shot" message even though I set it so that message on that side only can be seen by Blue players who enter that zone, wheras red players would get a message like "die intruder!" (and vice versa for the blue team).

I also tried to update the map by raising the roof of the bunkers so you can't just jump on top of them (that kind of makes bunkers pointless tbh), but when I made a new .aas file after doing that, the .aas file didn't work. Could I use a previously made .aas file for an updated version if the bots don't jump on the roof of bunkers anyway?

Martinus Rep. 592
#4   17 Nov 2018
Here is a little help for you:
www.dropbox.com/s/.../relay_test.pk3
You can find the .map file also inside the pk3.
(You can also see the relays random option functioning at my Lighttower map.)

The bunkers are nice details, but bots still stuck in them. :(
You don't need to raise the ceiling of the bunkers. You can lower the floor, or move out the spawners from them.

#5   17 Nov 2018
I fixed the relay problem, but the .aas file still won't work when I compiled a new .bsp and .aas. I don't know why I was able to previously play with bots, and why I can't suddenly now when all I did was raise the roofs by selecting the roof and walls and raising them. Could this have caused this? Because I looked it up and found nothing helpful.

Also, does anyone know how to make the clouds in the skybox move slower? I think they move way too fast to be taken seriously.

Edited 12.98 minutes after the original posting.

Martinus Rep. 592
#6   17 Nov 2018
Check the bspc.log for aas problems.

You need to change the sky shader texture, or make a new sky shader.

#7   18 Nov 2018
You need to change the sky shader texture, or make a new sky shader.

I don't know how to make a new sky shader. How do I do this to make the clouds move slower?
Tig Rep. 1622
#8   18 Nov 2018
You need to edit the shader file. Best to copy the original and rename to something unique to your map (to prevent shader conflict).
Martinus Rep. 592
#9   18 Nov 2018
Yep. That is the best solution!

As I see, you are using toxicsky sky shader.

textures/skies/toxicsky_krds
{
qer_editorimage textures/skies/inteldimredclouds.tga
q3map_lightimage textures/common/white.tga
surfaceparm noimpact
surfaceparm nolightmap
q3map_surfacelight 80
q3map_sun 1 1 0.5 100 30 60
skyParms - 512 -
{
map textures/skies/inteldimclouds.tga
tcMod scroll 0.01 0.01
tcMod scale 3 2
depthWrite
}
{
map textures/skies/intelredclouds.tga
blendfunc add
tcMod scroll 0.005 0.005
tcMod scale 3 3
}
}

Here is the modified version of the toxicsky sky shader. If you want to change the clouds speed, you need to decrease or increase the numbers at both "tcMod scroll" . (I only changed the shaders name, and the tcMod scroll numbers, nothing else in this shader.)
Then select this shader, and save it into your scripts folder as krds.shader
After this, add your shaders name (without the extension) to shaderlist.txt
Save it, and load the skies textures in Radiant.
If you do everything good, then you will see a new sky shader: toxicsky_krds

Edited 2.35 minutes after the original posting.

#10   18 Nov 2018
How do I copy the original? Do you mean while in Radiant, or is it a file somewhere in baseq3?
Tig Rep. 1622
#11   18 Nov 2018
The original will be either an individual shader file or part of a larger shader. You need to make another with a unique file name to prevent a shader conflict.

All effects, including skyboxes are controlled by a shader script. While confusing at first, the syntax is enough to read and make changes to. You just need to be sure to make a unique file for your own maps.

#12   18 Nov 2018
The textures folder doesn't have a skies folder, just proto2, skies2, and stone. skies2 only contains clouds.tga.

When I changed the textures of the skybox to toxicsky_krds after making a .shader file in a skies folder I made in the textures folder using the texture manager, now it just comes up as a missing texture. I don't know what to do at all here.

Martinus Rep. 592
#13   18 Nov 2018
You don't need to do anything in or with the textures folder. You only need to work with:
the scripts folder
and your own pk3 file (if your work is done with your krds.shader, then you have to copy it into krds.pk3\scripts\ folder, next to the krds.arena file.)

the "missing shader image" texture appears when the editor can't find the editor image of the shader. The shader still should work in game, but if you bothered by this, then change this:

qer_editorimage textures/skies/inteldimredclouds.tga
to
qer_editorimage textures/skies/intelredclouds.tga
this...

#14   19 Nov 2018
Fixed the missing sky texture. The problem was skies.shader wasn't called krds.shader.

Now it's mostly a matter of deciding what other barrier troops need to be in the blue base, and what to use to fill the empty areas in the bases.

Edited 5.08 hours after the original posting.

#15   19 Nov 2018
New Bug: Projectiles disappearing. I read somewhere that to remedy this I should make most terrain brushes detail instead of structural. This didn't fix the problem. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Edited 5.37 hours after the original posting.

Only registered members can post a reply.
Already registered? Sign in.

poq3dm2
Clear