Quake 3 suddenly not working
KommissarReb (SW12) Rep. 2362
#1   11 May 2018
Quake 3 was working fine on my computer (patched with the latest point release and all) until just now today. Every single time now I try and start the game up, it will freeze during the id intro cinematic. And I mean "freeze" and not "crash" as it stays there and I can't use the Task Manager or Start Menu when hitting Ctrl+Alt+Delete, forcing me to shut down my laptop when a prompt comes up for me to choose the task manager (I'm using Windows 10).

Has anyone else had this problem, and knows how to fix it?

Tig Rep. 1652
#2   11 May 2018
Possible bad sectors on the harddrive. Can be tested a number of ways including copying the Q3 files to a new location. If you can not copy, you have bad sectors. A disc scan would be recommended along with a backup.

Another option maybe failing video card or driver's or RAM (system or video card).

Could also be as simple as a damaged Q3 config file. Can be tested by removing them all. Test by moving them all to a different folder before starting.

#3   11 May 2018
I moved the Quake 3 Folder around, and still got the same result. Would reinstalling the game help?
Tig Rep. 1652
#4   13 May 2018
Move is not the same as copy unless you moved the files to a new drive or partition (not folder) on a drive. Which did you do?
#5   17 May 2018
I copied the Quake 3 Arena folder from Program Files (x86) to Program Files and now it works fine. What I did originally was just move them.
Tig Rep. 1652
#6   17 May 2018
If that is the case, I would recommend a back up as soon as possible followed by a drive scan for bad sectors.

Only registered members can post a reply.
Already registered? Sign in.

t-pak2c
Clear