Hello. I've been recently downloading maps and models (lots of them) and when the number of .pk3 files I downloaded reached a high number, I get this error "Unpure client detected. Invalid .PK3 files referenced!" I already tried removing all .PK3 files and putting them back into the baseq3 folder to see if a file was creating errors, but to no avail. It seems like there is a limit to how many .PK3 files I can have in the baseq3 folder, and if so, how can I fix it? I am running the ioquake3 (1.32 Point Release) engine with the UI Enhanced 1.2 mod.
When does it say? At startup or when trying to access some server? It's possible that it's only a server's response to your connection and might point to that you do not have original installation. You NEVER should alter contents of original pak#.pk3 files where # is number from 0 to 8 (8 is point release 1.32) - of course you never should alter any downloaded pk3 file as well as some servers use custom maps in rotations and thus it might be considered unpure client at the server side.
To the pk3 amount: as far as I know Skirmish has limited access for maps listing (map won't show up in Skirmish menu even with valid arena code, but is still loadable via console), but if you have really huge amount of pk3 files in your installation, it's possible that engine just ran out of memory when tried to load all of these pk3 files in RAM. It's no good to store all goodies in live installation of engine. Make an archive directory (may be inside baseq3 folder and can contain a dot at the beginning of the dir /This is considered hidden on Unix systems/ - when making .newdir /with leading dot/ make sure to write also enclosing dot on Windows - it will be removed, but when not typed it will throw an error and your dir won't be renamed - it's a bug that causes Windows think the dot as file extension separator. Adding an extra dot simply tells Windows that this is gonna have a blank extension, and the extra dot is then removed automatically. When you need to change dir name while preserving the dot, use the same trick as Windows are sclerotic :D)
As far as I know, none of my .pk3 files have been altered in any way. It shows this message in Skirmish when I load a map. As for the directory solution, I tried the solution and it didn't work, It shows the same message. I am also running a Windows 10 PC.Edited 6.72 minutes after the original posting.
Then you have some of original pk3's corrupted. Even this can happen. It might be just corrupted address memory in your hard drive (can be repaired with defrag - not q3 mod but Windows built-in feature) Try to reinstall clean installation of the game (remove all pk3's and all dirs except for baaeq3 and missionpack and run point release installation again). If that does not work, then uninstall entire game and reinstall it from your install CD, then install point release again. Hope this will help.Edited 2.7 minutes after the original posting.
I noticed that this error only occurs in the UI Enhanced 1.2 mod, and not in vanilla. I am not sure why though. I did everything you said and I get the same error. I tried using an earlier version of UI Enhanced, but the only 2 versions I could find are 0.97 and 1.2. 0.97 doesn't work, it just shows a gray screen.
Then use vanilla. I do not even use ioquake3 (because it has graphics bug that causes my screen go very dark)...
The reason why I use UI Enhanced is because of more map and player model slots. I have so much that some don't get listed. If you could recommend any other mods that have more map and player model slots, that would be great!
Thats something that I do not care about much. Sorry. I learned to load maps always with console and then add bots of my own choice. I do not use custom skins and my gamename is without color tags (due to Team Arena's bug that doesn't allow for colored name).
Alright. Thanks for the help anyways!
May the luck be with you :)
I think I have found the solution to this problem.
I recently found out about the Spearmint engine, and I downloaded it. It doesn't support mods though. The only mod I use is UI Enhanced, but I don't need it. This issue doesn't happen in the Spearmint engine and it also adds more map and player model slots. It also adds graphic options. I think I have found a new favorite engine! I am adding this post so people with this same issue can find a solution.Edited 21.97 hours after the original posting.
I forgot to add this to this post, but the Spearmint engine has a limit to how many maps it can show. But I have found the true solution. I just disabled the "Pure Server" option in the Server tab. it would've helped if I actually checked the documents that were in the uie folder. Now there isn't an issue with the maplist anymore. I don't have better graphics options anymore, but I can use mods again!Edited 53 seconds after the original posting.