About Vertical maps
Started by Martinus
Martinus Rep. 592
#1   24 Apr 2016
I'm thinking about a new map focusing on vertical dimensions (mostly) instead of horizontal.
Anyone of you know any vertical based maps? In the past I only remeber ONE, gothic themed castle like map with jumpads (I don't know the map name).
People would interest on a new "vertical map"?
Colton Rep. 359
#2   27 Apr 2016
I think converting q3ctf5 from cs.gamebanana.com/maps/186841 would be a nice addition to your map roster. I would DEFINITELY play that! You could use bspc to convert it as a start, but it would still need textures aligned, flags placed, team identification placed on both sides, etc. It works pretty well, considering how far I got into converting it. It wasn't very far though, had problems with the bounce pads/launch pads myself, & also, it would need a lot of item_botroams to get the bots everywhere in the map... Just to be nice (& giving that map master brain of yours a good workout).
Martinus Rep. 592
#3   28 Apr 2016
Thank you for the reply, but that wasn't what I ask. :)
HelterSkeleton Rep. 6344
#4   21 Jun 2016
yes! vertical maps would be good. I think obviously a vertical map needs lots of options for rocket jumps (even plasma climbs) & the power-ups, to reach areas. In terms of vertical gameplay with respect to firing/frags - takkie's early box map tourneys are worth a look. They don't have the bouncepad element I think you are aiming for but should offer idea for vertical line of sight. I think Bal's 'malfunctioning nano-constructor, is worth a look for the same the reason. Unitool's 'Abandoned Crate' is prolly the most memorable map on Q3 in terms of height, but the centre is too open. Batcula has also got a fair amount of height. Also Charon's 'Stir-fried Rocks Attack' is worth a look but none really match the scale I picture you imagining but would be worth a look for developing gameplay. It would certainly stand as an innovation, once you perfected it. hope this is useful.
HelterSkeleton Rep. 6344
#5   21 Jun 2016
also aepyra, freefall, tokay's tower worth a look). I can think of several maps with 4 or more tiers or ones with an open gaming area between all the tiers (ie mvdm11, pjw's 'kiss the sky' & 'cellular rage'). There's also pigs pit. Certainly has the bp thing going on. if I think of anymore, will let you know
Martinus Rep. 592
#6   03 Jul 2016
Thank you for the reply, I'm actually working on a map which (mostly!) using the vertical dimensions.
If I can I will upload some shoots from the map to here. :)

Only registered members can post a reply.
Already registered? Sign in.

q3macho4
Clear